Video Editing - Is It Worth The Hassle?

swanson2 01:18 25 Mar 05

Hi,

Over the last few weeks I have been trying out all sorts of software to enable me to copy video from my JVC miniDV Camcorder to VCR/DVD.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it isn't worth all the expense and time as the decent software is very expensive and all editing activities seem to take forever!

Copying directly from the Camcorder to VHS tape seems to give the best results as far as video definition and amount of time to transfer data are concerned.

Any comments/advise would be appreciated.

Yes it is worth the time if you want to cut out the bad bits, add music, titles or burn to DVD.

But your correct, it depends on the software you use.

The BEST in my opnion are Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 ( or Premiere Elements for £69) or Vegas. They use the Mainconcept encoder and the results are superb.

Totally-braindead 01:29 25 Mar 05

Its debatable I suppose. You must remember that video tapes degrade so eventually your treasured memories will be unwatchable, whereas DVDs don't degrade to the same extreme although its advisable to make 2 copies in case one of them does muck up. I personally have never tried it but a friend of mine loves it, personally I'm like you I've dabbled at it a bit and find it very time consuming but then I spend hours in this Forum and playing games which a lot of people would find a total waste of time. Everyone to their own I suppose. DVDs are better quality though. If you find it so bad perhaps consider a stand alone DVD recorder, they are a bit pricey even now but the prices are dropping.

BLH 10:36 25 Mar 05

Hi swanson2, it depends on what you are happy with, I've noticed that most videos recorded direct from a camcorder can be quite boring to watch, hence the need for video editing which in-turn turns the video into something enjoyable, I use Pinnacle Studio 9+ and find it very user friendly. all editing is very time consuming, so if you want to make videos you will need to put allot of time into it at first. The end result is well worth it.

jbaker65 11:44 25 Mar 05

I use Avermedia dvd gold pci card(£30-40) and uLead video studio 7. My computer has an AMD XP1700+ cpu so it is not very fast But a 2 hour film from vhs to hard disc takes 2 hours (obviously), editing out the commercial breaks takes about 30 minutes and then producing an intro and burning to dvd disc takes about 90 to 120 minutes. I organise the long jobs to be done while I walk the dogs or have a meal. You judge for your self whether it is worthwhile.

swanson2 13:18 25 Mar 05

Thanks for all your comments.

I have decided to compromise and settle for DVD Slideshows.

SEASHANTY 17:43 25 Mar 05

You could use your camcorder to record to DVD disc on a home DVD recorder just as easily as you use it to record to VHS tape. If you purchase a DVD recorder which uses DVD-RAM discs then you can edit these (remove bits, add bits, shift items etc) quite easily using the DVD recorder. DVD-RAM discs operate similarly to a hard drive. Current price of these at Blankdiscshop is £14-99 for a spindle of 10 discs. I use them quite often.

SEASHANTY 17:45 25 Mar 05

Some info on DVD-RAM click here

georgemac © 18:16 25 Mar 05

I just bought a panasonic dvd recorder, and connect my video camera directly to it and I have been copying to dvd-r (which I will retain as master copy) then copying to the PC, and editing with Nero Vision Express, creating chapters, then burning to dvd. The burn takes a couple of hours, but I just walk away and leave it.

Results are very good. I would use dvd-ram but my dvd writer does not like them - my next one will.

I use the dvd-ram to record tv progs - great - just erase and use again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…