Video Editing Hardware

Ben Avery (Work) 11:16 18 Mar 03

Gday

I have several home video's that I wish to put onto VCD (for my DVD player and distribution). I have in the past tried a PCTV Rave PCI card which wouldn't work. I'd ideally like to have something which I can plug into my VCR, play a home movie and copy it onto my HDD as a .mpeg or .avi file. I'd rather use a USB or firewire port for this enabling a simply plug in technique and install the software on th PC.

Any thoughts on where I can get something like this - not worried about fantastic quality - just nice enough (and cheap enough) to enjoy!

Thanks.

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 12:01 18 Mar 03

Missed off a large chunk of my post there! Meant to also add system spec and a question about S-Video...

System spec:

* Athlon XP 2000+

* 512MB DDR RAM

* Radeon 128MB 8500LE Graphics Card

* 40GB 7200RPM Barracuda IV HDD

* Windows 2000 Pro

Now my graphics card has an S-Video socket in it as well as the Standard and Digital monitor outputs. My VCR also has an S-Video on it, so the obvious question is do I need anything else or should I be able to plug my VCR directly into the Graphics card and edit with some software in this way?

If so, what kind of software would be best?

BA

This is something I want to do also.

I've been looking at the VideOh! by Adaptec which is a USB 2.0 device.

You may also find the information here to be of use click here

BJ

tenor 13:34 18 Mar 03

Your graphics card does not have video in,(unless its an all in wonder or similar)A cheap tv tuner card is all you need otherwise.Just plug your video out to tv antenna in and go,or alternatively an external tv tuner such as avermedia usb.

Mande 00:17 20 Mar 03

Interested to note these contributions. I wonder if anyone can tell me if it's possible to transfer from a miniDV camcorder tape onto NTSC format. Reason I ask is I have some footage which I happily watch in PAL but always have trouble sending a copy which can be watched by friends in North America who are of course in NTSC territory.

If I were to send them the original cassette (don't really want to risk it getting lost in post - but anyway) can they record it directly onto an NTSC compatible VCR?

In a similar vein - how can one transfer c 40-year-old 8mm footage into a modern format? Question is taxing my father!

Thanks

MichelleC 08:13 20 Mar 03

Mande, only way is to get it converted to ntsc. Most vcr's can read PAL or NTSC but not write. Or you could always burn to vcr.

Big Elf 10:01 20 Mar 03

I recently bought a Pinnacle Linx USB 2.0 Plus from Dabs (QuickLinx 2CTBWS)for just under £50. This allows capture from an analogue camcorder. I think it would also work with a VCR but you would need a scart adapter to plug in the cables to connect. The adapter was supplied with my camcorder and it's listed in the manual as a PC-A10 Scart. Hope this helps.

Big Elf 10:05 20 Mar 03

I forgot to mention that the Linx is supplied with Pinnacle Studio 8 LE.

Ben Avery (Work) 10:18 20 Mar 03

Thank you for that suggestion.

Has anybody else used this? If so, how does it rate?

I have been looking at the VideOh! DVD External USB 2.0 version (I have USB 2.0 capabilities on their way!) but at £130, click here the possible attraction to the Linx mentioned above is obvious. I would say that the VideOh! DVD is a very classy looking piece of kit with some great reviews but, hey, I'm only putting my Red Dwarf VHS's onto VCD (or SVCD) so what reccommendations would you all give?

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 10:25 20 Mar 03

I have had compatibility issues with Pinnacle before (I don't think the last one liked my Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Card!) when I bought a PCTV Rave TV card. Despite several attempts it just wouldn't have any of it.

Would these issues be likely to effect an EXTERNAL device such as the above 2 mentioned? I'm guessing not as I believe they tried to share the same IRQ(?) ports or something.

Please advise.

Thank you!

BA

Big Elf 10:59 20 Mar 03

I've only been using it for a couple of weeks and am using the same 10 minute clip to practise with until I'm comfortable with using it. It captures the whole clip in 1 go with no dropped frames. The software is not very intuitive (or perhaps that's me) and is taking some getting used to. I've tried rendering to most of the various options, Avi, MPEG etc and in every case the clips are small on screen and movement can be 'blocky'. I haven't got a DVD writer so can't say whether rendering output to that format would improve the quality.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…