video editing and graphic cards

Jabba10 16:39 08 Sep 03

Hi,
I've just got into Video editing after purchasing a DV Camcorder and find the rendering time of my final movie irritating to say the least!

I was thinking of buying and up to date graphics card in the hope that this will speed things up (my old one is c.3 years old and came with the computer)...is this worthwhile or am I only fooling myself that my Athlon 900Mhz is up to the job??

Any feedback would be welcomed

stlucia 17:00 08 Sep 03

I do the same job on a 600Mhz Athlon, but the rendering takes over 12 hours for a 1 hour video.

Provided it downloads from the camera without a glitch (which it does), I don't worry about the time taken rendering -- I just leave the PC running all day and/or night doing its job.

Undoubtedly a higher speed processor would speed up the rendering process. I'm not sure whether an upgraded graphics card would make any difference because by the time you get to the rendering process its just a number-crunching job.

Chegs ® 17:24 08 Sep 03

I run a 2600 AMD/1Gb 2700DDR RAM and it still takes 6 hours to render approx 1 hour video.I bought the parts specifically to do this,but I find it irritating that the video has to be played while it transfers to puter,then MovieMaker takes ages to save the AVI,then the rendering,convert to DVD/SVCD,etc means that if any part goes awry(which it usually does)it turns into a 12+ hour shift.I wouldn't like to try it on a slower puter,due to the time taken.I have a mate who also wishes to try rendering on his puter,but having seen the filesizes created with videos,doesn't want to change OS as 98se will sulk if asked to play with 10GB files. :-)

Jabba10 18:10 08 Sep 03

thanks for your feedback guys...looks like I'll have to start walking the dog more often!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…