Video editing & burning to DVD

mardol 12:23 17 Apr 07

Using a Canon mini dv camcorder I want to edit & burn onto DVD our amateur theatre productions & my steam railway videos.

I'm looking for an easy to use software, don't need a lot of fancy stuff, just title dubbing.

Also what DVD format to use so our members can play the DVD'S on whatever player they have.

I have a windows XP pc with built in DVD +RW & a Firewire socket.

Thanks

MAJ 12:32 17 Apr 07

Windows Movie Maker which is already on yuor PC should do what yo want, mardol. You can encode and burn to DVD if you have Nero burning software.

anchor 13:35 18 Apr 07

Following a recent link given in another thread, I have tried the free DVD Flick and found it very good.

click here

I downloaded the video from my Sony Camcorder, edited it in Windows Movie Maker. It converted the wmv file, and then burned it to a DVD. Works fine.

Bagsey 14:35 18 Apr 07

^^

john-232317 15:27 18 Apr 07

Another way is to do it on a standalone dvd recorder and your tv.

Woolwell 15:27 18 Apr 07

I use a Sony mini-dv camcorder to film amateur theatre productions which I then burn to DVD. I use Serif MoviePlus 5 for my editing and burning. I use this program because it gives me more options then Window Movie Maker and I can burn direct. I always burn an image to the hard drive first in case the actual burn has a snag.
Serif MoviePlus 5 probably isn't the best program for this and Ulead may well be better.

When burning you need to check which DVD format people's stand-alone DVD players can use. Some can use the + format and not the - and others vice versa and some both.

john-232317 15:30 18 Apr 07

It save mega time by not having to keep recodeing files etc and you can watch it as they will also view it.

Woolwell 15:35 18 Apr 07

I use my PC to add titles and scrolling credits at the end of the video and I also scan in the programme and have a mini slideshow of the programme as part of the DVD. Have to watch copyright tho!

Not sure that you can do that on a dvd recorder. I also end up watching each production as it is captured. The coding of files does take time and you need a fairly powerful PC with plenty of hard drive space.

john-232317 15:56 18 Apr 07

On a recorder you can put on lots of different films. For every film you have a first frame picture shows at the startup and you can add titles to the pics, Or you can split a film in sections by stopping it and restarting the camera and leave recording going. You can edit bits out by just pausing the recording similar to the old vhs recorders. I make one dvd, finalize it then copy it on the fly on the PC.

I used to use ulead but got fed up with the time it took, although maybe you cant do as much editing and adding things, the dvd recorder is so much quicker and easy when you get the hang of it.

David4637 19:46 19 Apr 07

What DVD editting S/W do you use to produce your VOB files? Thanks David

Woolwell 19:50 19 Apr 07

David4637
Serif MoviePlus 5 (see my previous post). I am not sure that this program is that good but it does the job for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…