Video Editing Again using Adobe Premiere

Boy Zone 20:30 01 Mar 03

Hi to you all.

I have a Gainward Geforce Ti 4200 with pent 4 PC.
I have tried to use Adobe Prem to capture my old VHS tapes but with little sucess, when it came down to the rendering, I was confused which Codec to use, and it informed me it would take 3 days to complete.
I have 80 Gb as my slave HD, when I tried to render a 3hour video which I assumed was in Mpeg format (at 1 Gb of space per 3 Min). I left the PC on all night, only to find the next morning to be informed that I had run out of Hard Dick space?? I work out that it should have only taken approx 60Gb of space.
Has anyone used a Gainward Vi/Vo card and Adobe Premiere for video editing?
How much in video time can you get onto a DVD, I assumed that a 3 hour MPeg1 compressed film would fit onto a 4.7 Gb DVD, so how come I ran out of space on my 80GB HD??

I am sure there is someone out there who knows??

Boy Zone 12:12 02 Mar 03

sorry to spin this thread around again, but does anyone have any idea

y_not 16:16 02 Mar 03

Sure someone will shoot me down in flames but I'll try to help (still learning myself).

I use Abobe for capture, I edit using Pinnacle and encode (to mpeg2 for SVCD) using tmpgenc.

This morning I ran out of HDD space (a 20Gb partition) having captured 54 minutes of video as an AVI file - file size was 10.82Gb. The rest of the HDD was taken up with a capture from yesterday of 35 minutes of AVI and 600Mb of MPEG2 (which was the file size of the 35 min. AVI)

Encoding time was around 2 hours using a Duron 1200 following a fire-wire capture.

Hope at least some of this makes sense to you.

Moving on...why are you encoding Mpeg1, I thought that mpeg2 would have been right for DVD?

If, as I found out, 35 minutes = 600Mb a DVD at 4.7Gb should hold something like 4 hours of video.

TOMMO01 17:13 02 Mar 03

I have a Pentium 3 866 processor and encoding to MPEG 2 a movie of 2.75 hours took 11 hours. This file ended up about 3.6GB.

I would suggest that you are rendering or encoding as AVi at a very high quality to run out of space. I use a DC30 cature card and I capture at around 8 minutes per GB. So hard drive space will get eaten up very quickly.

If you are going to use the file as DVD then you should be encoding to MPEG2.

THe best course of action would be to FRAMESERVE directly from the timeline to a MPEG encoder called TMPEnc as MPEG2. In short you link the file in the timeline to TMPEnc and encode directly as MPEG2 compliant DVD. Saves a lot of hard drive space, but 3 hours is one heck of huge project, I if I am not mistaken you are limited to a 2 hour video in Premiere. Might be wrong.

How to FRAMESERVE and the link to tool's needed can be found on my site click here

Boy Zone 18:32 02 Mar 03

Thanks for your input.
Could not access the web page above.
The problem I have is having tried to edit VHS tapes using (1) the bundled s/w that came with my video card which uses Mpeg format I then copied this into Adobe, when it came down to rendering (the film was 2hr ) and 3.5Gb the message I got was it would take 3 days to render.
(2)Then I used Adobe to capture had problem knowing what capture setting to use, chose video for windows with format of 640*480 and compression Intel IYUV codec as per setting on my video card. after 10 hours I ran out of HD space.Have 80 Gb..
Then I thought even if I do manage to render I then have to export the time line to movie........I might just reach my summer hols at this rate. Where do I get the codec to use on Adobe?

Regards

siouxah1 19:09 02 Mar 03

In the past I have captured in ADOBE Premiere using DV PAL and standard 48Khz sound. This will give 720x576. If I remember correctly this will use the MS DV codec and save to disc as AVI.

Then this is encoded to your chosen MPEG format. I think the thing is to capture at the same resolution as your intended out put. I output at SVCD and use nero to encode and write to disc. About 35 minutes. If you encode to VCD you will get about an hour.

Uncertain about DVD as is your requirement. However, I believe that most burning progs will use the correct codec if you set things for default.

Hang about though there are some clued up people about here who I hope will see this thread soon.

Regards Brian j

However, have a look here which might explain things better than I

have.click here

click here

Boy Zone 20:33 02 Mar 03

Thanks for your input and links,

My first port of call is to undersatnd how to capture VHS tapes onto Adobe and then once I have this in hand onto DVD. But that is some way in the future.
I'm have problem with understanding the term codec and timeframes.
As Stated I did down load a VHS video which was over two hours long, and tried to render this, but after 10 hours I ran out of HD space, and I have 80Gb ffree....
I have heard of a Mpeg codec called tmpgenc Any one know where I can download this free?

siouxah1 20:54 02 Mar 03

click here

click here

Boy Zone, try these two for information and TMPGEnc download and links.

Brian j

MichelleC 09:13 03 Mar 03

Your render times seem a bit excessive. I take about 3/4 hours for 10gb.

With DV avi, hd space is approx 1gb = 6mins. If you turn of everything (for 98 - except syst tray and explorer) times will improve. Essential to defrag (although some will disagree) to cut down on errors and time.

Analogue capture is converted to dv (avi) for pc and when finished render to mpeg1 (very compressed) or mpeg2 (compressed). You'll need plugins for latter as per copyright.

BTW it's best to have main prog on main hd and data on 2nd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…