Video to DVd via PC

chriscross72 21:11 06 Jul 06

I have two very old music videos, neither of which are -or ever will be-available on dvd. I do not like playing them as they are irreplaceable and will wear out eventually.
How can I transfer these precious tapes onto dvd in a format i can view on my home dvd player ?
My PC is an E machines e-4020 with onboard sound card and shared graphics.
Do i need a separate graphics card on the pc in order to plug my video recorder into the pc-is this even possible-
What I need to know basically, is how can i transfer these tapes to dvd ??

Thank you : ))

De Marcus™ 21:25 06 Jul 06

Find a friend with a DVD recorder and try copying.

If it doesn't work (macrovision protection if commercially produced) you'll need an analogue capture device similar to click here along with click here for connectivity.

skidzy 21:27 06 Jul 06

You do have this option that does not need a pc...i take it you mean vcr tapes,how about something like this .. click here

De Marcus™ 21:32 06 Jul 06

The only niggle with that skidzy is if the tapes are macrovision protected, it won't record them. They're are however workarounds for some models if so inclined.

skidzy 21:34 06 Jul 06

Good thinking DM,hadnt even give that a thought.Something for Chriscross to think about.
Your way seems a lot cheaper way to do this anyway.
Thanks for the reminder DM

chriscross72 21:39 06 Jul 06

do you get macrovision on video tapes.....these tapes are from the late 1980s........will the device mentioned by De Marcus work with any modern vcr ? do i just plug vcr into one end of this 'AOpen VX2000 X-RECORDER Analogue TV video capture USB' thingy and the other end into any usbport ???

De Marcus™ 21:47 06 Jul 06

Macro-vision works by a chip in the hardware which detects the copy protection signal embedded on the tape. This should help explain click here

With regard to the hardware I linked too (used for illustration and not necessarily a recommendation) the Aopen plugs straight into a USB port on your PC, you connect the VCR via my second link above and use the supplied software to record the footage. You also get a TV Tuner (albeit analogue) to boot with most capture devices.

P.s. Macrovision (the company) was established in 1983.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now