Video drivers and system performance?

scales 21:26 21 Oct 09

I have a PC with XP system pack 3. It is a HP Pavilion with 3 GB of RAM. I have updated and backed out IE8 about 4 times because of crashes and go slows. Looking in the Event Viewer I found NVIDIA error messages for each IE8 crash. I downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers and IE8 has worked perfectly since. The bonus though is that the whole system has sped up and Window Task Manager shows CPU usage has fallen right down.
It is like having a new machine. The PC is about 4 years old and I haven't bothered much with the drivers until now, perhaps I should check them all.
I was wondering though, how do new video drivers make such a difference to the performance of the machine?

scales 11:22 24 Oct 09

Well I have checked my drivers and only the network card, the main board and the audio drivers show as having newer versions available. Do you think I should update them or should I leave well alone while ahead? The good news is I haven't had a system freeze since the video driver was updated.

citadel 18:43 24 Oct 09

motherboard drivers maybe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…