Video Crd Upgrade for early AGP slot Intel P4 1700

Elkopop 11:11 17 Mar 06

Have been trying to decide on card to upgrade evo compaq for some time (see posting on page 3) but current power of 250watt 50/65mhz with 2volt processor output to early agp slot seems to blok using the latest agp cards which only need 1.5 volt and could be blown by my system. It currently has Geforce4 MX 440 AGP8x card. Anyone know of any card suitable for this slot that would make any worthwhile improvement.Memory is 512 + 128 on board memory at 266mhz.

remind 11:39 17 Mar 06

Something like a Geforce3 Ti200 or Ti500 are still fairly capable and could be picked up for peanuts secondhand, or the Geforce4 Ti range - your MX card is based on the old Geforce2 chip, the 4 digit cards in the GF4 range use a newer core. No need for external power connectors and as far as I'm aware all work with a 1.5v slot - I know the GF3 Ti models do as I have one on the desk on front of me - 3 part AGP connector, recently used and ran HalfLife2 almost as smoothly as my usual GF5700.
Unfortunately, you may find them hard to come by new, perhaps other forums members can suggest a suitable source or alternative ATI cards.
The info here is a bit old, but worth a read; click here

Elkopop 15:42 22 Oct 06

I have still not upgraded the video card for this computer but wish to proceed with it now to give its gaming a new lease of life. If I keep to cards that do not need a seperate power source and choose the best of those lower powered cards I hope I should avoid any cards that require too much power for the existing supply. Does anyone have any ideas of the best cards for gaming available now in this category allowing for the information shown earlier in this thread, (and hopefully at modest cost, given the limitations of the computer's modest spec).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5