Video conversion

silverstone 08:13 27 Mar 04

I have a broken Video 8 camcorder and dozens of tapes that i cannot watch. What is the rcommended way to get these on to my PC which is a 2400hz AMD with CD/RW. Is this something I can do with my PC within a reasonable budget or am I better getting the tapes professionally transferred to DVD. Advice please!!

Bagsey 08:38 27 Mar 04

How badly broken is the camera. Can it be used to run the tapes so that you can capture them to your PC.??You havent given us sufficient info to be able to advise. What new camera are you going to get if any??

Bagsey 10:04 27 Mar 04

I have reread your thread and realise that my answer was off the mark. If you cant watch your tapes it means that you cant run them in your camera. So first of all you will need some means getting them into your PC for editing. How to do this is the question? You could take them to one of the shops that will do this for you at a price. Or if you are intending to buy a new camera you could go for the Digital 8 system as these cameras can run analogue tapes. A cheaper option would be to look for a secondhand video 8 camera which will now be very cheap, but finding one could be a problem. You may find an 8mm VCR. Sony did a good one but they will now be in short supply. Can you give us more info. on the path you are prepared to go and we could possibly help with a solution. What area do you live in?? If you want just a straight transfer from video 8 to vhs without any fancy editing then that could be a cheaper possibilty. Post back with your thoughts.

pj123 13:14 27 Mar 04

I have a Sony 8mm camera and a Sony VCR. I would be willing to transfer your films to CD for you. I am doing the same thing with my 8mm tapes at the moment. I don't have a DVD burner yet but the CDs play on my domestic DVD player OK. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to do them all at once as it takes a fair amount of time, but if you would like to send me one I will give it a go. If you are happy with the results (I am) we can go from there. I don't want anything for it other than, perhaps, replacement blank CDs. As the tapes I am doing at the present time appear to be OK I am now going to buy a DVD burner. So I could, in time be burning direct to DVD instead of CD as the CD will only take up to 1 hour at a time.
email me if you want to try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…