Video Controller Problem

Widows Son 14:04 12 Apr 03

Due to the death of my previous graphics card I have purchased and installed a Sparkle GeForce4mx440 card. I've installed it (origionally with the cd's drivers)

On each reboot I'm getting a "found new hardware" window with a "Cannot install this hardware message refering to Video Controller (VGA compatible)which goes on to say that "An error occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid"

I've tried the updated driver from Sparkle's site but problem continues. When I go into properties I see that my 17" NEC Multisync 75F monitor is not listed. I've long since lost the floppy which came with it - and can't find a download

I'm running XP

Any help would be brilliant!

Over to you

Totally-braindead 16:49 12 Apr 03

Try driverguide.com they have most drivers.

DieSse 17:07 12 Apr 03

Try starting in safe mode. then go into device manager and remove all refernces to graphics card shown. Then reboot and see if this works.

Win ME and Win XP should be able to detect the card and load working drivers with no problem. the best drivers to update to are those directly from the nvidia site.

You do not need to specify your particular monitor for it to work correctly. Monitors don't have drivers as such - just a data file which lists the modes they work in. If you do want a driver that lists variuos modes, then use the Acer15p - I use that for any monitors which don't have an inf file - it works with them all.

Widows Son 17:46 22 Apr 03

Seemed to be a conflict somewhere - the whole system went tits up. A reinstall of XP finally did the trick

Thanks for your suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…