video conferencing - software compatibility?

oldbeefer2 10:16 05 Sep 05

Now my son in Oz and myself are both broadband we want to set up video conferencing. We have the cameras. He is using iChat on his Mac. I have a PC and have yet to choose software. Any suggestions, please, and does the different computer types pose a problem?

Diodorus Siculus 10:18 05 Sep 05

video conference tutorial for mac pc using iChat and AIM over firewire - how to ichat setup and firewall port settings
click here

Google seems to think that you need to use AIM (AOL instant messenger) with iChat.

Diodorus Siculus 10:20 05 Sep 05

Somemore googling seems to suggest that there are now others which will allow you to use other than AIM but not so easily.

Stuartli 11:01 05 Sep 05

If you use Skype you can add video conferencing with Spontania for Skype from:

click here

Both free. I use this setup for free calls via broadband to the Caymans to chat to my offspring and her husband.

Just like being in the same room...:-)

Stuartli 11:10 05 Sep 05

Oops, forgot that Spontania doesn't yet work with the Mac...:-(

Some information re Mac and Windows video-conferencing:

click here

oldbeefer2 11:32 05 Sep 05

Thanks Stuartli - looks as though Mac OS X tiger is compatible with Windows - any suggestions for software my end?

Stuartli 11:47 05 Sep 05

Skype can be used with Windows, Mac, Linux and Pocket PCs. See:

click here

for details.

It's the video side that will need to be sorted out - perhaps your webcam software has something suitable as Spontania only works with the Windows version of Skype at present.

oldbeefer2 18:27 05 Sep 05

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…