Video conferencing

Bald Eagle 18:49 10 Nov 05

A few years ago I tried using net meeting with 2 fairly slow computers running 98SE and it was abysmal. Now I have a computer in France running XP Home on a 2.8 Mhz machine and my daughter has a 2.0 Mhz machine running XP Pro back in England. Before I get too carried away what sort of results can I expect as far as chatting to each other via net meeting (with video) using these 2 computers. Also I read ages ago that there are better/more user friendly systems around than net meeting. Is this true?

Ray

ACOLYTE 18:52 10 Nov 05

The results depend largly on the connections you have as to the speed/quailty at witch the video/audio will be transmitted.

Bald Eagle 19:40 10 Nov 05

Unfortunately, we are both on dialup. I'm out in the sticks in France with no chance of broadband for the foreseeable future.

Ray

Stuartli 19:47 10 Nov 05

Providing you keep the webcam video's frame rates down to a modest rate it can be reasonably viewable.

Why not try Skype and the Spontania4M webcam software (latter at this Skype link)?:

click here

Angry Kid 11:20 13 Nov 05

Try click here for alternative webcam software. I use it and find it great.

Bald Eagle 18:35 13 Nov 05

Thanks for the link Angry.

ray

Angry Kid 22:33 16 Nov 05

Not a problem.

Have you tried it yet?

Angry Kid ;)

woodchip 22:40 16 Nov 05

I would say it's a wast of sspace trying with Dial-Up. You may as well e-mail pics and talk on the phone

DieSse 00:22 17 Nov 05

Try MSM mMessenger - it's already built-in to Windows.

But video is never happy on dial-up - it just can't handle the amount of data well.

Stuartli 08:52 17 Nov 05

I used to use my webcam with dialup but dropped the frame rate - the recipient was in the Caribbean and it was enough to provide a reasonable viewing session at my end.

It's not anywhere near as good as with broadband but, remember, it's not all that long ago that 14.4, 28.8 and 33.6kbps dialup modems were the bee's knees of their time...:-)

Bald Eagle 17:06 17 Nov 05

Thanks for all the useful info folk. Still doesn't work well between two houses 2 miles apart so will go back to the 'phone.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…