Video Conferencing

electroplater 14:58 31 Dec 03

I have a system built around a KT400 mb with a 2500xp processor. I have tried a video link using netmeeting and hotmail with a modem link which reports a speed of about 44k bps. The sound is an on board system.
The video is a bit jerky but acceptable while the sound is very poor and has an annoying echo.
Is this all I can expect from a modem link.
Is the result dependant on the software.
I only have a cheap USB Zoomcam, would a better camera help.
Would a separate sound card help.
Would a direct PC-PC link be better, and if so how do you set this up.

hugh-265156 16:05 31 Dec 03

a quality camera and pci soundcard should improve things a bit but overall quality will be improved if you have a broadband connection also.

dont expect to much from dial up for this type of thing.

anchor 16:13 31 Dec 03

I don`t think buying a new web camera will help. The better option to improve video quality is broadband.

As regards the echo, this is a common problem, and I found that Yahoo messenger is much better in this respect. The only way to fully eliminate it is for both parties to use headsets. The sound quality "might" be improved with a separate sound card, but I am doubtful. The quality of the audio connection does seem to vary from time to time, but try Yahoo Messenger first to see if it is better. You would both need a Yahoo ID, but this is free.

click here

As regards a direct PC to PC link, I will leave this matter to the experts to comment.

electroplater 19:35 31 Dec 03

huggyg71, anchor
thanks for ideas, will try Yahoo and headsets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…