video cd .dat

chippy+ 16:51 16 Jul 05

hi can anyone help i have a video cd disc which i would like to get some copies of the photos from but the format seams to be .dat i have tried all sorts of conversion programs but none that can open the files thanks chippy

y_not 19:23 16 Jul 05

Can you be a bit more specific please?

What is the disc VCD, SVCD & what are the files on it e.g. "SEGMENT"

Not sure if I'll be able to help but I'll try

Cheers

Tony

chippy+ 20:50 16 Jul 05

hi tony the files on the .dat are cdi, ext, mpegav, segment,and vcd i can open the file with showtime but i cant open an individual segment allthough all segments are shown i am tryin to get them into jpegs so that i can copy the photographs chippy thanks again

y_not 21:51 16 Jul 05

The file is probably called AVSEQ01.dat.

The only program that seems to be able to read this is Ulead Video Studio (I'm sure there are others - it's just the only one on my PC's).

The good news is that there is a free download trial version at click here Open the file in this program and use the option to "Save as a still image" - the quality is not brilliant but not bad either.

Or you could opt for my preferred option - I simply write ALL my stills to DVD with a bit of "elevator music" to remove the silence.

Works well and if photos are for sharing - TV is for group watching ... link them together and it works quite well.

Hope you can understand my ramblings - good luck

Tony

y_not 07:10 17 Jul 05

last night while talking to a friend that you can simply change the file extension to .mpg and treat it as an mpeg video - never tried this but it might be worth a try - you can always rename it to .dat if it doesn't work.

andrew-196854 07:47 17 Jul 05

power dvd will play vcds ,also a good site with loads of info click here look at gudies at the top may help

andrew-196854 07:49 17 Jul 05

power dvd from here click here

chippy+ 16:47 18 Jul 05

hi thanks fo all the replies the only one that lets me see the files is changing the file to mpeg but when i burn them with the new name the files revert back to .bak
thanks for all the help received
chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…