video cards

boo_hiss_boo 20:43 30 Dec 06

Can anyone tell me how to know if a video card is 'higher' than others. I have seen comments saying that you need xxx or higher but how do I know if mine is higher?

Thanks
Boo

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:48 30 Dec 06
  boo_hiss_boo 21:03 30 Dec 06

Hi Arthur

sorry, i am still confused, as it just looks like a list of cards to me not which are higher or lower spec. Even more confusing is that I tried to look for mine in the list to try to work it out and it doesn't even appear. It is

Nvidia gforce4 MX integrated GPU....?

I have a friend with some gaming issues and we are trying to figure out whether her video card is of high enough spec (i dont know what it is yet but wanted to get a bit more info for when she brings her laptop round...)

Thanks
Boo

im pretty sure if you look for min grx geforce4 or above 64k it should run, but depends on ram, if game says min 512m you would probably need 1 gb as your grx card will take up some ram, hope this makes sense.

boo_hiss_boo 21:19 30 Dec 06

adman

sorry to be a real thicky but how do i know if it is min grx geforce4 or above 64k, it all seems like real techie stuff when i look at the description and doesn't seem to really tell me the basics.

Thanks
Boo

Arthur Scrimshaw 21:22 30 Dec 06

The web page allows you to sort cards in terms of their performance (or spec as you call it) So for Half Life 2 the Radeon x1900xt gets 150 fps while the Geforce 7800gtx manages 'only' 143
You're right in that it doesn't deal with laptops, mainly because few laptops are even capable of running current games at resonable rates.
I'm not aware of any sites that might be able to help you. Sorry.

Mr Beeline 21:24 30 Dec 06

Hi .. the list given by Arthur is basically top to bottom (IE. least powerful at the bottom, most powerful at the top).

What you have (IE. Gforce4mx) is about as basic as they get. Fine for everyday IT work (word processing etc.) but for anything graphically intensive (IE. computer games etc.) it would struggle big time. The inclusion of the word "integrated" implies to me that it's not a separate graphics card, but built into the motherboard (usually done as a cost saving exercise).

There are basically two main graphics card producers (IE. ATI and Nvidia) and withing these, there are literally hundreds of different models. One way of looking at it is the higher the number in the card description, the better the card (VERY simplified way of looking at it). For example:

An Nvidia 7800, is better than an Nvidia 7900. Though even this is not really true, as within each particular make/type of card (IE. 7800/7900) there are loads of different models (EG. 7900gs/gt/gto/gtx etc. etc.). Cards also have different memory configurations (EG. memory size, memory speed, GPU speed).

So you maybe start to see that there is no simple answer to your question.

Easiest way for you (besides doing a fair bit of reading on the WEB) is to ask about a specific cards/cards and you will stand a better chance of an answer.

boo_hiss_boo 21:36 30 Dec 06

Thanks guys, that does help a little. Can I just ask, if I have an integrated video card, can I get another and have that installed or would the integrated one 'clash' with it. (if you know what i mean)

thanks
Boo

Totally-braindead 21:40 30 Dec 06

If your friend has a laptop then she is stuck with what she has it cannot be upgraded.
Desktops PCs are different.

Joe R 21:40 30 Dec 06

boo_hiss_boo,

as long as your mobo has an AGP or PCI express slot, you could upgrade your graphic card.

Joe R 21:42 30 Dec 06

Oops, as Totally-braindead states, if it is for a laptop, you can forget about the upgrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…