video card not getting signal

jerica 14:01 24 Jan 15

Hi, this is my first attempt at building a computer, P5K SE motherboard, Q6600 4core processor, 750W psu, Nvidia 480 graphics card. Put it together and fired it up and I get lots of humming and all the fans are working, but there is no signal to the monitor. When I fire it up the monitor light goes green for a bit but then goes amber, I'm as sure as I can be that everything is connected correctly so what am I missing?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:36 24 Jan 15

Is graphics card fully pushed down in its slot?

Does the card need a power connection from the PSU? (Fan on card running)

vga / hdmi / dvi cables? to monitor fully connected at monitor and PC and tried swapping?

tried connecting to another monitor or TV?

jerica 15:28 24 Jan 15

Hi, I know the monitor is OK, it tells me there is no signal and it was connected to a working computer this morning. Brand new PSU and it is connected to the card and all fans are running. There is also the matter of no beeps at all, I've been taking out components and if I remove the RAM I get one long and two short beeps to tell me there is no memory but I'm lost now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:30 24 Jan 15

can you try the card in another PC?

jerica 17:39 26 Jan 15

Sorry for the delay, borrowing another working Graphics Card, still nothing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:57 26 Jan 15

Thats looking like a motherboard fault.

jerica 19:50 26 Jan 15

Any suggestions for a suitable replacement for a P5K SE.

jerica 11:31 30 Jan 15

OK so got a new P5K SE and installed it and would you credit it I've still got the same problem. There is no signal to the monitor, tried the two different graphics cards which I know are OK and the monitor works with the other computer so what the * is going on?

rdave13 11:47 30 Jan 15

Connect to the motherboard's graphics port first. Install the Nvidia drivers. Shut down and change to the card's video port.

jerica 11:50 30 Jan 15

The MB has no graphics port, and how do I install when there is nothing to tell me what's going on? Just tried another monitor, no joy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…