Video card installation - advice needed

vaughan007 12:18 12 Apr 03

Hello everyone,

I have never installed a new video card on a Windows XP machine and just have a couple of simple questions.

The computer currently has an Nvidia video card and I want to install a Radeon 9700. The computer is running WIndows XP.

I remember that under older windows versions you used to have to remove the video driver and revert to using the standard PCI VGA driver that is included with windows. Then plug in the new card and then install the new drivers for the new card.

In Windows XP do you still have to do this or can you just simply plug the new card in and let Windows sort itself out when you boot up?

Any help and advice would be lovely.

Cheers folks.

VoG™ 12:59 12 Apr 03

When I changed graphics cards a few months back I simply switched off, whipped out the old card, put in the new one and restarted. During a somewhat prolonged boot-up Windows XP did the necessary and all worked dandy.

You might want to wait for confirmation from somebody who knows more about hardware than me (i.e. anybody!).

rickf 13:16 12 Apr 03

Its always safer to uninstall the old drivers first before installing the new one. Your procedure is correct even under XP.

vaughan007 13:21 12 Apr 03

Thanks for the advice.

Its just a shame Nvidia have not got a card thats as good a value for money as the 9700. Then I would not have to worry about drivers at all.

Oh well. nevermind

vaughan007 13:40 12 Apr 03

Just one more thing......

After disabling the old Nvidia driver and plugging in the new card, will Windows automatically detect the Radeon card (and install the drivers) and start using it or will I have to enable the new card first?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…