Video Card Adapters

jimbot182 16:27 29 Oct 07

Hi, Ive got my eye the 'XFX GeForce 8800GTS 320MB DDR3 Dual DVI PCIE' video card but reading a few reviews it says i need a PCI express motherboard. I checked to see if i dont already have one and i dont, ive actually got an AGP. I was woundering if anyone could recommend one thats good value for money and whether thats all i need to buy in order for it to work.

Thanks.

GaT7 16:45 29 Oct 07

You'll need to tell us what your present CPU, type of RAM (& amount) & power supply (PSU) are, as all *may* have to be changed along with the motherboard - so not very economical.

Alternatively, you could go for a more than capable AGP X1950Pro or XT for ~£95-120 (click here), & may not have to change anything (good PSU required though).

Either way, please tell us your system specs, & why you think you need/want to upgrade your graphics card. G

jimbot182 16:58 29 Oct 07

My CPU is Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz 2.99GHz, 512MB RAM. How do i check my PSU? I have a feeling i may have to change my motherboard. When i open my PC up it looked like i only had AGP slot and 4 PCI slots.

GaT7 17:18 29 Oct 07

It is possible to get a Socket-478 motherboard with PCI-E & use your present RAM (examples: click here & click here), but the CPU & RAM (amount & speed) will be a bottleneck for the 8800GTS*. Basically, I wouldn't recommend doing it at all.

PSU permitting, get an AGP X1950Pro instead (again the CPU would be a bottleneck for an XT), & increase the RAM by 512Mb at least.

You can check the PSU by opening the case & having a good look. The make/model & wattage rating is important. If your PC is a Dell/HP/similar, please let us know which & the model number. G

* The 8800GTS really needs a dual-core CPU - preferably an Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 at the very least.

GaT7 17:20 29 Oct 07

Why do you think you need/want to upgrade your graphics card? G

jimbot182 17:28 29 Oct 07

My PC is a Dell Dimension 4600. The reason why i want to get a new video card is because the one i have now (Nvidia GeForce FX 5200) aint so good. Every new game i buy (even games 2 years old) i cant play not even on the lowest settings. Ill have to crack open my PC and take a look at thr PSU. I think i just need a new PC.

jimbot182 17:43 29 Oct 07

Ive had a quick look at my PSU and it says something along the line that it shall not exceed 250W.

GaT7 18:26 29 Oct 07

Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 & games 2 years old - in that case you definitely need something better!

Yep, it's 250W PSU (click here), so you'll definitely need to change the PSU if going for anything above a 7600GT (click here). If it's a SLIM tower, then you'll have to get a low profile card - the best is a 7600GS I think.

If NOT a slim tower: an AGP 7600GT £58-70 (click here) & 512Mb RAM £17 (click here) - check if there's 1 spare slot. Even this may struggle with some new(ish) games.

Better alternatives depending on your budget: X1950Pro/GT or 7900GT/GS + PSU upgrade (click here) + RAM upgrade. Max total = ~£137

GPU benchmark comparison list: click here, where you can compare them all.

"I think i just need a new PC" - yes, you probably do, but a X1950Pro+upgrades (if NOT a slim tower) may serve you well in the short term. G

P.S. Recent similar thread at PCA click here - Dell 4700 with PCI-E graphics card.

jimbot182 20:11 29 Oct 07

Thanks much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac