video card

freakinmano 03:58 22 Feb 07

i cant make up my mind, i have a thermatake 430watt power supply and i was thinking of getting a evga 7600gt,then i seen that a 7900gs isnt that much more $ ,but the 7900gs needs a 400watt min power supply just to run one (and that is all i can run on my pc) so do you think i would be better off going with the 7600gt or is 430watts plenty for the 7900gs?

crosstrainer 06:48 22 Feb 07

What is the rest of your system spec? IE: processor, ram hdds cd dvd drives... all of these consume differing amounts of power.. I would say your power supply is borderline, and this can lead to serious issues (even fire in recent tests conducted by the mag... don't want to alarm you, but it might be an idea to upgrade your power supply... i currently run 2 desktops with 600 watt psu's best to have extra than too little

freakinmano 07:44 22 Feb 07

athlon 64 3500+ 1 gig of ram soon getting 1 more gig 150 hard drive and lightscribe dvd writer/cd writer ,i think thats it

freakinmano 07:47 22 Feb 07

everything is stock besides the power supply and the ram. the pc is a compaq presario sr2020nx ,and it only has 1 pci-e and 3 pci slots and the max ram is 2 gigs.

crosstrainer 08:20 22 Feb 07

With that cpu and the drives I strongly recommend tou upgrade your power supply arctic do a good range... go for at least 500 watts better 600 if you can.. check out click here

gudgulf 09:56 22 Feb 07

Thermaltake are a decent make so there is every chance you will have more than enough juice for either of the graphics cards you mention.

I am running a Gainward GS7800+ AGP card (which is in fact a full 7900GT in AGP form) with a P4 3.2GHz/2GB RAAM/2x250GB hard drives and 2xoptical drives/X-Fi sound card.

I have a generic 460W psu........which must be of good quality as it has been running perfectly since fitting the graphics card in August 06 and for 2 yers prior to that with lesser graphics cards.

The point being,since my P4 and graphics card are more power hungry than the ones you quote,I'd say 430W is more than enough.

Don't jump in to buying a new psu until you've tried it with a new card......there is no point in spending money on one needlessly.

freakinmano 13:22 22 Feb 07

so i maybe i should play it safe and go with the 7600gt. now just which one (thinking out loud)because there is so many to pick from!

whatchamacallit 01:56 12 Aug 07

Hi I am running a Gainward GS7800+ agp card, I would like to test this card.

Is there software at hand to do this.

whatchamacallit 02:00 12 Aug 07

Sorry I will start my own thread.

with psu's it's more about quality than how many watts, and the wattage is pretty much a guideline. for example a 350 watt seasonic has more clout than a lot of cheap 700 watt psu's, amps are more important. you have a quality 430 watt psu that is over spec for the 7900, so should be more than enough.

and the box of a pny 7600gt says min 400 watt psu by the way. the psu you have will be fine for either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…