Video capture problems

Remy Martin 17:31 16 Jan 05

I'm having a bit of trouble capturing digital video from my camcorder. I have installed a 2nd hard drive (160GB) for storage as my 60GB main drive was getting full. Both drives are IDE interface, the 2nd drive being set as a slave. Although I can capture to my smaller drive with no problem, when I try with the slave drive it drops of half of the frames. Is there any way round this? Copying large files from one drive to the other is a painfully slow process.

ICF 18:33 16 Jan 05

Is DMA enabled?
Control panel,performance & maintenance,system,hardware,device manager,IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,double click and select primary channel.It should be set to Ultra DMA 6 -Ultra 133 (if it's a ATA 133 speed drive)

Remy Martin 18:39 16 Jan 05

Btoh primary and secondary IDE dchannels are set to "DMA if available". Primary channel is set to "DMA Mode 4" and secondary to "DMA Mode 2". Can't see any way of changing that particular setting.

Hairy Yeti 20:44 16 Jan 05

How much physical memory have you got? How much is unused?
I wondering if your machine is having to access the swap file and as both HDDs are on the same cable they are sharing the same bandwidth (this is certainly slowing down your HDD to HDD copying).
Recommend putting your second HDD on the other IDE cable.

Remy Martin 20:48 16 Jan 05

512MB memory installed. Is it possible to "mix and match" the hard drives and CD/DVD Roms. I attached the new hard drive to the same cable as the older drive. I don't have any other spare cables as I have DVD and CD writers installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…