Video capture from a digital video capture

heidelberg 11:38 23 Aug 04

I have just purchased a fairly basic digital camcorder (panasonic NV-GS11), and would like in the end to be able to transfer videoed material to the PC, and to CD (eventually to DVD)

Any recommendations for suitable software, which doesn't cost an arm and a leg, with a trial version downloadable if possible (though not essential)

Thanks once again

Dave

john-232317 11:45 23 Aug 04

Try this

click here

GroupFC 12:17 23 Aug 04

If you have XP - you should have Windows Moviemaker2. This is fairly basic video-editing but ideal to practice with until you get the hang of it.

A couple of things to bear in mind:- Video work is a resource hog so make sure your PC is up to it or you could be in for a very frustrating time! Also raw video footage is in avi format which results in very large file sizes (fifteen minutes of video could be as large as 4 Gbs!), so make sure you have plenty of space!

If you have XP and want to have a go with Moviemaker post back and I'll dig out some useful links for you.

heidelberg 13:39 23 Aug 04

Thanks GroupFC.

I've downloaded Moviemaker2 (as I only had Moviemaker1) However the software doesn't detect the camcorder, which is connected using USB. Do I need to purchase another cable and/or another piece of kit? There is some mention of IEEE 1394 cable/port?

Any suggestions?

Dave

jonnytub 13:41 23 Aug 04

are you using xp????

heidelberg 13:44 23 Aug 04

Yes - xp home edition

jonnytub 13:47 23 Aug 04

then the camera should definetely be detected, strange?? is the camera usb 2.0 and firewire (ieee1394 to use sony's definition). Have you tried another usb item in the same port you are trying to use camera with to verify it's working?

heidelberg 14:12 23 Aug 04

The computer supports only USB1 and the camera is USB 2.0 compatible. A USB cable was supplied, but no IEEE1394 (firewire)though there is a DV socket. There is also no firewire "port" on the computer.

Which would be better USB 2.0 or firewire, bearing in mind that I would have to buy and install a port for both, (and a firewire cable)?

Also the help files in Moviemaker2 do not mention USB at all - just IEEE1394.

Thanks to all for help so far.

Dave

jonnytub 14:17 23 Aug 04

firewire is the better in my opinion, you may find that you can only send information from the camera to the pc and not vice versa. A firewire card is cheap and easy to install. However there are cards out there that do both i.e. usb 2.0 and firewire, you may also find that a front panel would be easier than dipping down behind the pc all the time you want to connect.

jonnytub 14:22 23 Aug 04

click here for pci card.

jonnytub 14:25 23 Aug 04

just a note, i don't believe usb 1.0 is fast enough for streaming video to your pc, i may be wrong but i don't think so. also not sure moviemaker recognises devices connected via usb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…