video capture

David2169 11:46 10 Jun 07

Hi
This is an emotional request because it concerns the recent death of a close member of my family. I am trying to put together a VCD of photographs from his life for any family and friends that would like one, there is no commercial intent involved.
I would very much like to incude a clip from Monty Pythons Life of Brian, the crucifixion scene with the song Always look on the bright side, which was a particular favourite of my son. The clip is freely watchable on You Tube, and probably widely available elsewhere.
My question is can i download the clip and include it on a VCD, i am using the trial version of a programme called DVD PixPLAY, which seems to work fine for images and music, video im not sure about, and as i havent yet managed to save the clip to my machine anyway that part is a bit academic for the moment. I also understand that there may be copyright issues involved, but would hope that because it is purely for a memorial non profit and strictly limited use this might be not the problem it could be.
If anyone has any ideas, methods, on how i can manage what is really a relatively simpe process, at least for some more intelligent folk than nyself, please let me know.
I would be so very grateful :)
David

Bagsey 13:04 10 Jun 07

I use DVD Pixplay to make slide shows andit is very good, but and it is a big 'but' you can only add video at the start of the slide show.
If you really want to be versitile in the structure of your slide show I would recommend that you use a video editing program. You dont need a very advance program to do this. Some thing like an early Pinnacle Video Studio, I would think that version 7 of that program will do all that you want. Or Ulead Video Studio 7 or 8. These are superceded versions so will be obtainable cheaply. Last year PC Advisor had a free version of Ulead Media Studio Pro7 on the magazine disc. Perhaps you can get a back issue of that. It is a bit more complicated to use but has more to offer. All of thes will allow you to integrate video and stills into a show. They also have the ability to add sound anywhere on the sound track.
I am not sure what the rules are about using the free program on the monthly disc but if it is legal to do so I am sure that I can find my copy and send it to you. Perhaps the FE would comment on that point.

Quiet Life 17:09 10 Jun 07

I have put the clip I think you want on click here where you can download it.
I was going to suggest Windows Movie Maker to do what you want but although the clip is now in AVI MPEG4 format it only shows the video for the first clip in Movie Maker and sound for the whole clip. Most odd but I do not know why.
Perhaps it will import into DVD Pixplay OK

David2169 17:22 10 Jun 07

Thank you so much for the help.Particularly the clip. It will import into DVDpixPlay but plays at the same frame speed as the jpegs and without sound. There has to be a way to edit individual parts of the slide show, just need to figure out how.
Simply wanted to thank you both for th help so far.
David

Quiet Life 19:15 10 Jun 07

I have redone the clip which now opens in Windows Movie Maker (which you will have) and you can download from here. click here You can put photos in Movie Maker as well and I think as David2169 said you would be better using a video editing program.
Movie Maker does not have all the finer things but would do the job OK.

Bagsey 20:26 10 Jun 07

Have you tried putting your problem on
click here
You will find it to be a very helpful forum.

David2169 20:04 11 Jun 07

Just had to say thanks to both of you guys. The second clip works a treat, with no problem at all.
Also the forum for Pix Play may prove invaluable if i run into any more problems. i am so very grateful to you both. Many thanks again.
David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced