VHS tapes to DVD for £29 - no hardware needed!!!!

JYPX 22:10 02 Sep 04

X-oom Video 2 DVD is today reviewed by a well known (published fortnightly) computer magazine as a means of transfering your VHS tapes to a blank DVD - and there is not a single mention of capture cards or other hardware. On the website for the software click here the only mention of hardware (in system requirements) is "8 MB RAM AGP video card". Am I missing something here or is this absolute nonsense?

Sethhaniel 09:10 03 Sep 04

to connect your video recorder to computer ;)

Sethhaniel 09:10 03 Sep 04

to connect your video recorder to computer ;)

JYPX 09:38 03 Sep 04

Thanks Sethhaniel, that is very amusing......Any other comments PLEASE.

Sethhaniel 09:53 03 Sep 04

The programming now a days can emulate many mechanical parts - so the software will do the trick.
And as I said all you'll need is a connection from the Video recorder into your Sound/Video card probably said 'lead' - ;)
And as the programs says it uses a good compression utility -as normallly files save at present are rather large -
Technology is sweeping on and i'd actually wait a while for the price to drop ;)

JYPX 10:48 03 Sep 04

Hmmm...Sorry that I am so stubborn but I just don't believe it. Why are we now seeing various usb devices in the £100 to £200 range which are are on the market to enable VHS to PC transfer , if it is possible to do the same with software - for only £29 !!!!

Sethhaniel 11:40 03 Sep 04

spalshed out almost £100 on external TV card Basic Five Channel + TELETEXT
to find not much later same with all freeview channels and radio etc for about £30

And in last few weeks started looking for portable device for displaying my digital photos straight away in from the states at £2000 - then one at £700 now about £299 so can well believe the breakthrough in price etc,. ;)

cga 13:53 03 Sep 04

I can tell you that this is a very good package but it is not magic. It cannot read your video by ESP :-)

You still nead a means of reading your video (VCR), Connection cables and someting to connect to (capture card or composite video card).

€dstowe 14:10 03 Sep 04

There is a fundamental requirement of an analogue to digital converter. Even if this conversion is software based there has to be, at the very least, some hardware to connect the analogue VCR signal to the meet digital requirement of the computer.

I have not read your click here as it contains headache inducing Macromedia stuff.

JYPX 15:06 03 Sep 04

As I said - ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. If you happen to be in your local newsagent this weekend have a quick look at this review (I am sure you realise which "magazine" I am talking about) and then imagine what the target audience - novice pc users - will make of it.

SEASHANTY 15:22 03 Sep 04

Why do you not say "Computeractive" magazine when that is the one you mean? It does also state in overall performance that this is very basic DVD authoring software that could become frustrating for some users. They also state CONSIDER Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3. £30. Cheap, powerful and easy to use - a superb DVD creation application.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac