VHS to PC

susiepops 17:03 19 Oct 04

I wish to transfer VHS tapes to DVD and would be grateful for advice on best but not too expensive way of achieving.

I have the following:

WindowsXP
A VCR with scart and converter to video and audio leads.
A Sharp WD250H digital camcorder with DV in and DV out capability (
A firewire which has two firewire sockets but no analogue input sockets as far as I can see.(I believe this will be USB1.0 and not 2.0)
USB (believe it will be version 1.0 and not 2.0. Do not know how to find out for sure)

TomJerry 17:12 19 Oct 04

in you PC, cost less than £40

Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Expert TV/FM Tuner with Nicam Stereo and Full PVR with Direct Burn Remote and Teletext £37.86 click here

Leadtek Winfast Dv2000 TV Tuner with Nicam Stereo,teletext,FM Radio,Remote control Full PVR software and 3 Firewire inputs for Direct Burn £48.39 click here

Quality produced by Leadtech card is very very good. I have a older model.

Tye software come with it is very good and it costs more than the card if you buy it separately.

TomJerry 17:15 19 Oct 04

if you do not want to open PC to install TV capture card.

WinFast USB II TV Tuner £69 click here

TomJerry 17:17 19 Oct 04

Leadtek Winfast TV USB2 TV/FM Tuner £61.32 click here

susiepops 17:25 19 Oct 04

Thanks. I have seen a number of suggested solutions, perhaps too many, and am quite confused. Yours is the first to suggest a TV Tuner. Can you connect a vcr direct to the tuner card and then capture a full video tape directly to computer in mpeg 2 for burning to a dvd? Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain what you do yourself and whether the results are good and reliable.

TomJerry 17:38 19 Oct 04

If you want to capture directly on MPEG II format, you need to have a faster PC (CPU 1GHz above) because processor need to do a lot of work. For slow PC, Capture in AVI format, then encode into MPEG.

I think you can spend more to get a better card (also in leadtek range) which has hardware MPEG II encoder, so the card do Encoding without any invovelement of CPU.

Leadtek WinFast PVR2000-MPEG2 TV/Decoder Card - Retail (GX-041-LT) £79.90 click here

TomJerry 17:41 19 Oct 04

Get a a stand alone Recordable DVD (just like a VCR) but use DVD as recording media. Very easy to use.

£179.88 LiteOn LVW-5006B All-Write Home Dvd Recorder click here. This is new model, old models fron Liteon was well reviewed.

TomJerry 17:44 19 Oct 04

Link VCR to TV capture card (need correct cable to link Scart to S-Video), play VCR, capture in AVI format, edit and cut unwanted part and put some fancy effects. Encorde and burn to DVD.

Quality? I cannot see any difference between VCR play and DVD play.

susiepops 21:03 19 Oct 04

DVd recorder is not the ideal because of its limitations. I am also looking at a device Dazzle sell which may act in a similar way to your yes and no response.

Thanks for your input. Still mulling over but will close thread for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…