vhs to hardrive

yorkieman 10:59 04 Apr 05

i want to add a video capture device to my computer but i have no pci slots free can anyone recommend a external device to run from my usb2 hub as i understand the quality veries from one to another? i want to transfer my vhs tapes to my hardrive i am using windows xp. any help please
do you have one and is it ok

George Smiley 13:03 04 Apr 05

I put in my tuppence worth on the following thread click here

Haven't yet tried it with converting VHS tapes from my VCR but intend to. Capturing from the DVD Camcorder has been good quality.

pj123 13:29 04 Apr 05

I use Dazzle Fusion (external USB), also has a 6 in 1 card reader incorporated.

Available from: click here

pj123 13:31 04 Apr 05

A better description of the unit can be seen here:

click here

pj123 15:38 04 Apr 05

Just another point.

If you are planning on putting your vhs tapes on to DVD via the computer.

A 3 hours tape will take at least 7 hours from start to finish.

I now no longer do that and have bought a standalone DVD recorder connected to my TV and transferring video tapes to DVD is in real time. A 3 hour tape takes 3 hours but there is no editing facility. What is on the tape goes on the DVD.

Maybe cheaper and more cost effective in the long run if you have a lot of vhs tapes to transfer. At the moment I am in the process of transferring all my old Beta tapes to DVD (about 120). After that is done I will start on my VHS tapes. I have a Liteon DVD recorder which cost £120 not much more than the Dazzle Fusion at £79ish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…