J. I. 15:43 11 Apr 06

iS THERE ANY EASY WAY TO TRANSFER VHS CONTENTS TO HARD DRIVE ON MY COMPUTER. i HAVE VIDEO RECORDER AND COMPUTER BOTH WITH SCART CONNECTIONS.Will this be sufficient. What would be a suitable program to use for the transfer. My computer xp home

Totally-braindead 15:50 11 Apr 06

Its not that easy I'm afraid. VHS is analogue. You need a pretty fast computer with a lot of disk space. The easiest thing to do is buy a cheap DVD recorder, connect the Video to the DVD via scart and record it that way.

Perhaps if you don't want to buy one you have a friend/relative who has one and will allow you to borrow it?

J. I. 18:06 11 Apr 06

I have stated I do have a video recorder. I need to record to the hard disc on my computer, not to a dvd. Sorry if you miss understood me. IE. Straight from the video then input to my computer to the hard disc

Stuartli 18:15 11 Apr 06

I've never heard of a computer with a Scart socket...:-)

click here

click here

click here

Lots more.

Sharpamatt 19:47 11 Apr 06

there are computers with scart scockets the Medion on sale from Aldi has one however I dont think it will help in this case.

I can transfer from a VCR to either hard drive or to DVD .

A cheap internal TV Card is simple to install and should come with software to record onto hard Drive.

By connecting the VCR with standard ariel cable to the Card a simple scan of channels will set up.

On mine I use Cyberlink Power vcr 11 by selecting record from the TV Channel ( which would be that as set to video ) I can record to HD or Burn to disk.

By looking around you should find costs about £30 and half an hout to open the case and plug into a vacent PCI slot

Stuartli 22:21 11 Apr 06

I bow to your knowledge..:-)

But a Scart socket seems to be completely alien to a computer system to my mind...

J. I. 14:23 12 Apr 06

Thanks Sharpamatt. Your suggestion seems the best way to go. My medion has a tv antenna socket so looks like I have the tv card installed. Is it now just a simple case of connecting the ariel cable to the outlet on the vcr player and to the inlet on the computer. I assume I will then have to connect up the audio cables to and from the two units. With the software installed that you recommend. Is it just now a case of running the video in the player and then thro the software program copy to hard disc. I have a old video(pal) which I need to copy to hard disc in order to be able to edit it. My knowledge in this high tech field not up to scratch. Appreciate any help you can give me

J. I. 14:25 12 Apr 06

Back again. I should have said VHS Player not VCR

Stuartli 14:45 12 Apr 06

Unless it's a Betamax or V2000 system, it's the same thing...:-)

J. I. 15:00 12 Apr 06

Thanks Stuartli for correcting me. Still on a learning curve regarding some aspects of terminology

Stuartli 15:26 12 Apr 06

VHS = Video Home System and was the name given to one of three potential video systems being selected for its new home video system by JVC (Victor Company of Japan) in the late 1970s.

The three potential systems had been devised by different branches of JVC#s parent company, Matsushita; initially VHS stood for Vertical Helical Scan (part of the recorder's technology), but was eventually taken over by the term Video Home System.

Even so, VHS never matched the quality of Betamax (Sony) or V2000 (Philips and Grundig), the latter having a flip over cassette like an audio compact cassette, as well as digital tracking.

VHS gained ground in the UK quickly for one main reason. Ferguson rebadged some of JVC's VCRs under its own name; its parent company, Thorn Electrical, owned more than 600 stores under the Radio Rentals banner.

The rest, as they say, is history.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…