VHS cassette to CD

turnip 60 22:41 15 Jul 03

Hi
I have many vhs cassettes with things i want to keep such as my Grandaughter winning gold medal at the British Gymnastics assoc.
Can you tell me:
a) what do i need to transfer VhS to CD
b) if i need special Hardware approx cost.

I am running windows XP

MichelleC 09:14 16 Jul 03

There's plenty of source material in old posts.

You'll need a 'capture card' (for analogue conversion), The cheaper ones won't give the same quality as the dearer ones. You'll need a software prog (you can use xp's own - I use Video Factory), a cd writer, a burning prog (like Nero) and your winning gd will be on cd for prosterity.

graham√ 09:30 16 Jul 03

MichelleC - do you mean 'prosperity'? :-)

justvisiting 09:52 16 Jul 03

You may find that burning to cd will be slow and the picture will be smaller and not as good quality. You may have to invest in DVD but then you may only be able to watch it back on your pc as not all dvd players will play the discs burned on a pc.

I am in the same boat and the prospect of copying over 200 vhs cassettes is a little off-putting.

VHS machines are now so cheap-buy one-check it and store it away in a cool dry place for the future so that you will get years of play from them.

MichelleC 12:45 16 Jul 03

... my freudian slips will get me into all sorts of trouble one day :o)

justvisiting, you can get good quality vcd's, svcd's etc by compressing the avi's into mpegs. The degree of degradation from the played mpegs is dependant on the compression, with 1 being the worst. Mpeg2 is the prefered plug-in, and because of copyright is usually purchased seperately.

turnip 60 12:54 16 Jul 03

Many Thanks MichelleC & justvisiting
with that information i can start the conversion
thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…