vgartd.vxd - Win98SE - Missing!!!!!

Jester2K II 15:21 14 Oct 03

Windows 98 SE

PC had 77 xxx.vxd file is missing errors.

Short story - sorted that, except now it shows

"vgartd.vxd is missing

iosubsys folder maybe corrupt"

I can't find this folder anywhere....

Same message occurs when in Safe Mode or Normal mode. Scanreg /restore fails every time.

I know this is a graphic driver file but how can i sort this from DOS??

Jester2K II 15:28 14 Oct 03

Sorry it starts with the error...

Cannot find device file that maybe needed to run Windows...

Windows registry or system.ini refers to this device file but it no longer exists.

If you deleted etc etc

Press any key to continue

(After key press)

While initialising device IOS:
Error: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load
Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low on memory.

john-232317 15:34 14 Oct 03

Have you uninstalled any proggies ?

I had similar problem when i downloaded a phone unlocking program and deleted it cos it was similar to another i had already, i cured it by re installing the program.

JIM 15:35 14 Oct 03

I could send you the vgartd.vxd if required,was found by explore win 98se cd on desktop and opening the drivers folder then stb folder then vel1283d folder.

john-232317 15:42 14 Oct 03

This may help click here

JIM 15:55 14 Oct 03

Based on part of your error message.(Sounds over the top.)

While initialising device IOS: Error: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load

To resolve this issue, rename the IOSubsys folder, and then reinstall Windows 98.

To do this, follow these steps:
Insert a Windows 98 Startup disk, and then restart the computer to a command prompt.
At the command prompt, type c:, and then press ENTER.
Type cd\Windows\system, and then press ENTER.
Type ren iosubsys iosubold, and then press ENTER.
Reinstall Microsoft Windows 98.

Jester2K II 16:17 14 Oct 03

Sorry not sure about your first answer. Also surely i need the right vgartd.vxd for this set up?

The second answer is better - except there is no iosubsys folder and (bigger problem) I have a copy of the Win98SE disk but no CD key to use. The shop it came from 2 years ago sold the PC with Win98SE installed. My client says that it was a part of the sale but the invoice doesn't mention the OS. When we phoned them today to get the CD key for this PC he was told that the PC was sold with Win98SE installed for testing purposes only. Its then down to the purchaser to format the hard drive and reinstall their own OS!

Now i want to avoid breaking the law.

My client is sure he paid for Win98SE when he bought the PC and wants to avoid (but will if necessary) purchasing a new copy of Win98SE to do a reinstall.

I was hoping for a simple solution but it looks like buying Win98SE is the way forward.

JIM 16:25 14 Oct 03

first answer,was thinking you just required a copy of the vgartd.vxd from win98se cd.

by the way have you checked for copy of the Win98SE CD key in the registry yet?

Jester2K II 16:28 14 Oct 03

was thinking you just required a copy of the vgartd.vxd from Win98SE CD

I left the PC extracting all the VXD files from the CD into a new folder and then told windows where that folder was by adding a PATH line in Autoexec.bat. That sorted 76 of the error messages!!

by the way have you checked for copy of the Win98SE CD key in the registry yet?

First thought i had but can't boot into Windows (even in Safe Mode)so no access to registry! Unless there is a way in DOS i don't know about??

JIM 16:44 14 Oct 03

see if this may help.

click here

Retrieving a Lost Windows Install Key
Here's the situation: you want or need to reinstall Windows, but you discover that you have lost your Windows install key.

Note the word "reinstall". This is about retrieving your own serial from an existing Windows 95,98, 98se, 2000, or XP installation, which may or may not be corrupt. This is not about getting a cracked serial.

So what to do? Well, it depends on your operating system and the condition it is in, but regardless, you will see, that in all cases, it is quite a simple matter to recover your lost key, even if your only access to your system is with a boot disk to DOS.

Windows 9X (click here to download a ready made file that will find your Win9x/ME key)

Jester2K II 16:55 14 Oct 03

Nice one - i'll give that a go....

but it looks like the Hard Drive has just died on me.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…