VGA PC to hdtv 1080p HDMI

girbabe 20:55 25 Apr 10

I have a HP compaq 6715b laptop with an integrated radeon x1250 grapics card and VGA and 7 pin S-Video output. My TV is a Panasonic TC-37LZ85 with a native resolution of 1920x1080 which my graphics card seems to support as one of the so-called "hidden" options as well as a 2nd monitor. My TV has 3 HDMI connections. I can also choose different formats of 480, 720 and 1080.

Basically, all I want to do is use my TV as a monitor as a replacement for cable, getting the best picture with the easiest/cheapest connection possible - whatever that turns out to be. My frustration is that I get different conflicting advice about 720p vs 1080p or whether I need to buy a scaler as well as a converter. I was also told that my TV will automatically up or down convert as necessary depending on the signal. Is that correct? I have seen a basic VGA to HDMI cable for as little as $9.00 and was hoping that was all I needed since I have the options to change resolution and format.

So - do I need an actual converter or a converter/scaler? Will this even work correctly?? I would like to make a decision and stop waffling about this. Thank you!!

girbabe 21:13 25 Apr 10

I guess I should also clarify about the 720/1080 issue. I was told that every time a TV has to up/down convert a signal, it loses picture quality so it's best to get a converter with the same resolution capability. There is a HUGE cost different between the 720p converters vs the 1080p capable ones. I also heard there is little noticeable difference when actually watching a 720 or 1080 picture on a 37" or smaller TV, so a converter capable of 720p is supposed to suffice (and is much cheaper). Again - true or false?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…