Vga only WHY?

pavel 13:50 17 Jan 05

I have just been given a compaq p111 733 mhz 128 megs ram and 8 gigs of hdd and on board video adapter. It was reformated and ready for a new os so i put Win ME on it and every thing is fine but the display is only 16 colours. The monitor is capable of svga and is correctly identified in the Hardware lsit under System in Control panel. However the Adapter in the same list is the vga standard one. I have updated the Win ME from the update site and the display has upto date drivers but the adapter remains vga. Am I missing something? How can I change the setting so I can have a full range of colours on the display.
Thank you for your help.
Pavel

Carpigiani 13:55 17 Jan 05

Did you reinstall your motherboard drivers, the onboard graphics drivers would be on the same disk.

PA28 15:07 17 Jan 05

If you can't update the video driver on your motherboard (and it would be worth identifying the graphics processor that you've got on board and going to that web site) then seriously consider an add-on video card that you can update the graphics drivers for. No doubt this is where your problem lies.

Sethhaniel 15:15 17 Jan 05

put windows '98se OS on - and it must default to VGA -I was lucky to find on the IBM website an up to date driver for that machine and am now running on 24 Million True Colour.

pavel 19:17 17 Jan 05

Thanks I will try update MOBO drivers and if it,s a no go I will get a cheap video card.
Thanks again
Pavel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…