VGA to DVI flat TV ?

keewaa 10:08 17 Apr 06

I know it's easy to buy an adapter to make a flat screen with VGA plug adapt into a DVI connector. But is it possible to plug a laptop with only a VGA output connector for seperate screen, to a flat screen TV with only DVI plugs ?

If so where can I get the adapter / box to do it ?

goonerbill © ® 13:03 17 Apr 06

do a search on the net for VGA to DVI. there are cables and converters/plugs for this job ranging from a few quid to £20+. it all comes down to if you already have a VGA or DVI cable, then you will only need a converter/plug or get a cable that has VGA connection one end and DVI the other.

goonerbill © ® 13:13 17 Apr 06

maplin electronics do a converter/plug that will be ideal for you if you have either VGA or DVI cable, as they sell both types of converter but can be a bit expensive compaired to others. when i have used there stores have found there staff to be helpful, knowledgeable and if they can't answer your quiery, will find someone who can.

keewaa 16:47 17 Apr 06

I'm just wondering if an adapter will work, or do the VGA analogue signals need to be converted into DVI digital.

For example I found this click here but the last line says "It does not convert VGA analogue signals to DVI digital!" It has the correct plugs OK, but .....

As I'm not an expert on digital/analogue video signals, I was wondering if a converter device is needed.

User-312386 16:49 17 Apr 06

Yes thats the one

You will only still get analogue picture

keewaa 17:40 17 Apr 06

Ah, so the digital TV will still display an analogue picture OK ? So the only down side is slight loss of picture quality, compared to a digital signal ?

User-312386 18:22 17 Apr 06

You got it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…