VGA cable query...

lottiejones89 23:21 10 Oct 09

I want to get a vga cable to connect my laptop to my HD tv but don't want to get the wrong thing. Is there a different cable for laptops, or is it the same as a desktop computer connection?
sorry not very tech-savvy haha
Thanks

woodchip 23:25 10 Oct 09

It depends if your TV supports a VGA cable. Using VGA is only good for watching such as DVD's its no good for Text. You have to have at least a DVI to HDMI to use HD TV for text like a big monitor

lottiejones89 23:36 10 Oct 09

My tv does support the vga cable. If I use one with the red, green and blue cables (RCA I think that is?) would that be better?
Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

DieSse 11:11 11 Oct 09

VGA doesn't carry sound - so you would also need a cable for sound.

Text can be fine on an LCD TV - I have a friend who uses a VGA cable to a 32 LCD TV and gets an excellent picture.

"If I use one with the red, green and blue cables"

One what? To where and from where?

Three phono/RCA plugs will likely carry sound (normally red/white) and picture (normally yellow), so you wouldn't have to have a separate sound cable. I don't know the significance of the colours you state - nor where you would feed it from - can you explain further please.

This converter box allows you to convert your VGA and sound ports to an HDMI converter - might be a better way to go.

click here

DieSse 11:12 11 Oct 09

HDMI converter should read HDMI connector - sorry.

Miké 12:40 11 Oct 09

lottiejones89 is talking about component video connections click here and there endeth my knowledge of the subject!

DieSse 13:07 11 Oct 09

Thanx Miké for the link - at least I understand that now. I don't know where/how/if one would get component video/audio from a laptop, and it still doesn't cover the sound.

I suspect the converter box is going to be the most sanitary approach.

woodchip 13:57 11 Oct 09

I think he is referring to BNC cables I have a Crt monitor that uses them type of cables from VGA to BNC

Read hear about BNC under specifications click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5