vga adapter port

chazebabez 23:48 16 Apr 09

hi i have a problem with my hp compaq desktop pc the main vga connector has broke off my motherboard and now i cant connect a monitor to my pc how can i fix his and is there any way i can just add a vga connector without soldering one onto the motherboard

woodchip 23:55 16 Apr 09

You need to look inside at what type og Graphics slot it as and buy a Graphics card. one of either as AGP or a PCIE slot

chazebabez 00:12 17 Apr 09

pcie slot it has

chazebabez 00:13 17 Apr 09

i got told by a hp advisor that i might need a new mother board is this true as there is no damage to it

phono 00:43 17 Apr 09

"i got told by a hp advisor that i might need a new mother board is this true as there is no damage to it"

I would say that to break a VGA connector off a motherboard would most likely cause other damage, motherboards are made up of multiple layers so damage to tracks or other components on the PCB are quite likely.

If however there is no other damage then if the motherboard has a PCIE slot available you may be able to disable any on-board graphics and use a PCIE video card instead.

This of course is all dependent on the assumption that the broken VGA port is on-board, if it is not then a new graphics card should sort the problem out.

woodchip 10:33 17 Apr 09

It's your money, and how you spend it. Me I would go for a new card buy be a cheap one first to see if the motherboard still works with the socket broken

chazebabez 01:13 18 Apr 09

will ihave to buy graphics card to match my hp compaq

rdave13 01:32 18 Apr 09

Yes. Open up the PC and look at what 'slots' you have. Usually the motherboard will have labels printed indicating what the slots are for.
For graphics cards I'd imagine that only AGP and PCI-e are applicable here.
Images of the two different slots; click here
Hope that sheds a bit more light on the problem and , as woodchip says, buy the cheapest one you can find so if it's the wrong type you can try another one.
Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…