VERY Worrying security concern

thedogisdead2 19:41 18 Oct 04

Hi.... I've just been using a chat room on Win MX. I just went there for a chat, and all of a sudden, A message appeared on the screen saying 'FBI Tracer- Tracking thedogisdead 27%' etc. The other users got extremely worried and urged me to log off. I thought it was someone having a joke and paid no attention as I wasnt sharing any copyright material anyway.

After increasing concerns, I logged out and logged back in... however it did no good as the trace was completed upon logging back in and my IP appeared on screen along with my first name.

Apparently, someone was scanning my hard drive for copyright material. Which is ridiculous as it is impossible to tell what I havent paid for.

Should I be worried about this? As far as I'm concerned, if it was genuine it was a totally illegal invasion of privacy. Or... was it something just pretending to be 'The FBI'? I'm very skeptical, however the other users got very panicky.

Valvegrid 19:44 18 Oct 04

It sounds like a spoof to me, betcha they were trying to sell you some software.

thedogisdead2 19:45 18 Oct 04

Didnt seem like that.... I dont think the FBI would be bothered about scanning hard drives though! Needle in a haystack!

They did mention summat... wuppats or wippets.... something

Valvegrid 19:48 18 Oct 04

By the way, its dead easy to return your IP address: click here this is one of the many sites.

I've just notice you name, thedogisdead2, poor dead dog:-)

thedogisdead2 19:51 18 Oct 04

lol.... thanks for your help. I thought it was nothing, just needed the advice of you fine people.

Valvegrid 19:54 18 Oct 04

Sorry that link of mine was a very poor link, this one gives much more information about your machine, you'd be surprised: click here

thedogisdead2 20:09 18 Oct 04

Its now saying I'm on Blueyonder.... Is that easy to find out too? Wippers is the software

Its now saying I'm on Blueyonder.... Is that easy to find out too? Wippers is the software

Valvegrid 20:36 18 Oct 04

Yep, its as easy as that, this is what it returns for me:

Name Address: popl-cache-6.server.ntli.net

Remote Port: 11760

Browser: Opera/7.54 (X11; Linux i686; U) [en]

Its telling me I'm on NTL, using Opera browser version 7.54 and the operating system is Linux.

No secrets here on the Internet :-)

thedogisdead2 20:40 18 Oct 04

Nope... anyway, I'm not doing anything illegal!! Theyre after major uploaders anyway arent they? The 'FBI' would hafta go after millions of WinMX users!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…