very very slow start up

Simon Bramley 11:58 10 Apr 04

I am running a 2.8 AMD, 512mb ram, and 80gb Hard drive on Windows XP Professional.
Two months ago the computer started to start up very slow. The PC carries out all the normal bios checks at normal speed but once it gets to Windows XP Professional start screen it stays there for about 30 minuets. Once it gets to the desktop it runs as normal. I have Norton anti-virus installed so don’t believe it’s a virus (The problem started before I put Norton on). I have also used msconfig to remove all items in the start-up. Apart from a reinstall of windows has anyone got any ideas?

Ironman556 12:04 10 Apr 04

Have you checked your drive for errors? I've found a few times XP has done strange things to me. Often checking the drive for errors with all options on will fix and corrupt files and/or bad sectors you may have causing slow boot.

Simon Bramley 12:29 12 Apr 04

No luck there if still takes 30 mins

ened 12:42 12 Apr 04

Can you remember what you had done in the way of software changes in the days prior to the problem?

ened 12:44 12 Apr 04

I should also have recommended going back to MSCONFIG and checking that the start up items you have removed have stayed removed. Some of them can be persistent little..... - an example is Realscheduler.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…