Very unusual Printer problem ...Help

Jada 14:54 22 Jan 03
  Jada 14:54 22 Jan 03

I have a laptop and a desktop. When I print out from the Laptop (win95)the print quality is fine. When I use the desktop (Win XP Home), the print out is terrible with very fine lines showing in the picture. I used the same printer for both printouts (HP Deskjet 720c). I have scanned a printout from each computer for eveyone to see, and hopefully this would give someone an idea what is going wrong with the printout from the Desktop machine. The link to see the scanned printouts is below...quite large pics, will take approx 30secs on 56k modem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

click here

Many thanks
John

BrianW 15:06 22 Jan 03

It looks as if the Desktop is printing at "normal" or maybe even the "econonomy" setting. Whereas the laptop output looks as if it is in "Best". Try setting the "paper" setting to either photoquality or premium inkjet and "Quality" to "Best". (You may already have done this - in which case, my apologies and over to the XP experts)

Jada 16:00 22 Jan 03

Thanks Brian

Unfortunately as you guessed, I have already tried that.

John

woodchip 16:12 22 Jan 03

It's the driver under XP that's the problem try a Win 2000 driver for your printer

Jada 17:58 22 Jan 03

Hello Woodchip

Have tried downloading the driver for win2000 from HP site. it just keeps saying that I have it already installed ( I think it means it is already within Win XP).

Still nothing works

If any more ideas please send.

Thanks

John

Jada 17:58 22 Jan 03

Hello Woodchip

Have tried downloading the driver for win2000 from HP site. it just keeps saying that I have it already installed ( I think it means it is already within Win XP).

Still nothing works

Thanks

John

Jada 18:00 22 Jan 03

Hello Woodchip

Still nothing works

Thanks

John

woodchip 18:33 22 Jan 03

You need to remove your printer first before reinstalling with the 2000 driver, if its in Add/Remove in control panel, remove it from there first. if it does not show there go to start/settings/printers right click the printer you want to replace and choose delete. Then have a look at the printer driver you downloaded for a setup file, double click the file if you can see one, if it's a zip file you will have to extract first. If there is no setup file go back to start\settings\printers folder and press add click on have disc when it ask's and point it to were you have saved the printer files

Jada 17:06 23 Jan 03

I deleted the printer driver, and tried installing a new one. According to the computer the new one installed is for both, win2000 and XP, and it still did not sort the problem.

However I have just realised something, it is only when I actually set the printout to Premium Paper that I am getting the problem. Even If I set the quality to Plain Paper, I get better results than Premium. I can only put this down to the printer driver supplied with XP not being fully compatible with the printer. At least I can now printout with the quality I want. The link below will show a scanned image of a sheet of A4 which I put through the printer 4 times at different settings (settings shown next to picture)

click here

Thanks to all who helped

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…