Very strange Media Player9 Mpeg problem!

Brazils 10:58 19 Nov 03

Hi all

I have XP Home and use Media Player 9.

There are five accounts on my PC

I have this one mpeg file that plays with no problems in MP9, in every account except mine!

When I play it, the movie is corrupt, all pink and green blocks, but sounds OK. If I let it continue to play the PC crashes. My MP9 plays other Mpeg files OK. I can play this file in PowerDVD with no problems.

This has me really stumped. I use the same MP9 settings as the other users.

How can I fix this?

Thanks

MichelleC 11:30 19 Nov 03

Have you run a sfc? It won't tell you if anything's wrong or right, it'll just update any corrupt system files.

BigMoFoT 11:35 19 Nov 03

I bet it's a codec installed under your account that is not avilable to the other users - and I think 5 users is a bit too much as well!

Brazils 13:31 19 Nov 03

Sorry, what's sfc?

if it is corrupt system files, wouldn't that effect everyone.

I've done a restore to when it last played OK. Only a couple of days ago. No help.

Brazils 13:34 19 Nov 03

Where can I view these codecs?

Why is 5 users too many? Me, the wife, two sons, and a spare account I use for Video editing.

Thanks

As Brazils asks, why is 5 accounts too many?

I have five set up on my system without any problems.

MichelleC 15:20 19 Nov 03

Go to command prompt and type sfc /scannow (note space) and put in os cd.

Brazils 15:43 19 Nov 03

Thanks for replying.

I have a Mesh PC that only has a XP restore disk.

Surely if the problem was with the system files, then MP9 wouldn't work for any user, or for any Mpeg file? After all there is only one copy of MP9 on the PC.

I feel it has got to be someting local to my account, but what?

Thanks again.

Brazils 20:45 19 Nov 03

I have just made a new Mpeg movie using Studio8.

It will not play in my Media Player, but it does when logged on as a different user!!!!

The freshly captured AVI plays OK

The only thing odd that I can remember over the last couple of days while using my account, was I had a problem with a CD-RW that had an Mpeg movie on it. I erased the CD and wrote a VCD to it, which also wouldn't play. I binned the CD after it wouldn't erase or read.

I have uninstalled Media Player today and reinstalled, but it didn't solve this problem.

Please help, as I render most of my home movies as Mpeg files and now I can't view new ones in Media Player. I can view older ones that were already saved before a few days ago.

This is so odd, I'm tearing my hair out.

Brazils 20:46 19 Nov 03

Tell me more please?

Brazils 23:26 19 Nov 03

It's Mpeg2 thats corrupt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…