very strange

Chezdez 09:58 17 Feb 05

i'm running a dynamode ADSL router/modem/switch, XP SP2, via ethernet (cat-5E) cable

everything was running fine right up until 2:30 AM wednesday morning (tuesday night)

when i turned the computer on on wedenesday morning, my Internet wasn't working. I ran full virus (AVG 7), spyware (Spybot, Adaware, Microsoft anti-spyware, A-sqaured, all fully updated), turned up nothing unusual (pretty clean sytem)

after i found the username and password for the router, i found that i could still access the router, and alter the settings, but none seemed to have changed anyway. all the necessary light (ADSL, power and ports 1 and 2) were fully lit, and the data light was flashing every so often, meaning that the router was still on the ADSL line

after digging out my old alcatel 330 speedtouch modem, i have found that there is nothing wrong with my ADSL line, and my phone works fine too

so, does anybody have any idea what is up with this? i have e-mailed my ISP requesting the info needed to setup a router, and intend to simply re-set the router, but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what would cause the Internet to simply fail?

FelixTCat 17:16 17 Feb 05

I have found that with ADSL I fairly often used to get dropped connections. The frequency varied - I had a string of them over a period, then nothing for weeks. It seemed to be happening at about lunch time.

I assume that the telephone line had a voltage blip. I didn't notice anything on the phone - chances are I wasn't on the phone at the time - but it did disrupt the ADSL service.

Strangely enough, I still had the modem reporting that I was connected to ADSL with full line speed, but no response from the internet. I had to disconnect and reconnect to re-establish my internet connection.

I am a fair distance from the exchange (initially I couldn't be offered 1 Mbit) so that might affect the frequency of the problem.

spikeychris 20:44 18 Feb 05

Re- booting the router by holding the button in for a while sometimes fixes connection problems. The easy bit is talking to the gateway the hard bit is getting the gateway to talk to the net.

Chezdez 10:04 22 Feb 05

solved it by simply resetting the router, and putting all the settings back in

suppose it's just one of those random things that computers do from time to time for no particular reason!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…