very slow wireless connection

ranny528 18:49 16 Sep 07

Hi all
i need some help. I have just bought my first wireless modem/ router, it is a belkin f5d7633-4 i have followed all instructions and when i try to surf the web it is really slow i mean really slow. when i clicked for my homepage i actually got up boiled the kettle and made a cuppa before it finished loading the page. my isp is tiscali and have a "upto 8mb" connection with my wired modem the one tiscali gave me i regularly get 7mb to 7.7mb and still do. i have tried with it wired via ethernet and even bought a pci card to help and i have tried it wireless and no difference.my os is windows xp and have all the latest updates and disabled firewalls anti virus and no difference. my son has a laptop running vista and it is the same for that. Also the first belkin i thought was faulty so returned it and exchanged it but no difference. PLEASE HELP ME as the wireless will soon be tested for flight capabilities. many thanks karle

ranny528 18:53 16 Sep 07

sorry meant to add that the belkins dsl test was an exciting 23KBPS DOWNLOAD IN 15.9 seconds

STREETWORK 21:49 16 Sep 07

Run the Speed test click here if the test shows a low connection speed try the following.

Move the wireless router to a different position as magnetic interference from speakers, monitors, etc can cause a problem.

It may be worth swapping the ADSL filters on the phone lines around, also make sure that every phone has one fitted near the socket...

Dipso 21:59 16 Sep 07

What are the line stats from the Belkin?click here

ambra4 19:35 17 Sep 07

ranny528

Check this site and download the User guide for BELKIN F5D7633UK4A Connection PPPoA

Not to sure if it will help but no harm in trying

click here

ranny528 20:37 17 Sep 07

Hi all and many thanks for your replies.
after trying your suggestions i think the ball is on a roll. i checked the belkin connection PPPoA and found that the MTU setting to be 1454 where the setting on mine was 1432 changed this and what a difference.
Although still not nearly matching the test i done on my wired modem it is a huge improvement.
my wired modem gave results of:
download 6194kbps
upload 384 kbps
ping 56ms
The belkin connected via ethernet gave:
download 4313 kbps
upload would not complete 0%
ping 65
i tried this a few times and at one point d/l was down to 392kbps but it still upload is unsuccesful.
I think maybe i'm missing another setting somewhere but at least i can surf the web a bit.
A huge thankyou to those who posted some help and ideas. Any other suggestion please post and also i dont have to now put the modem/router in every place i can think of.
many thanks once again ranny528

ambra4 20:46 17 Sep 07

Change the Lan card Speed set-up

Start-Network Connection-Local Area Connection -Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed-Click Configure- Click-Advanced

In the box listed below click Connection Type – In the value box change the setting from Auto to 100 base Tx Full Duplex.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac