Very slow whilst using XP Pro

Dazwm 18:42 07 Dec 03

I have my hardrive split in two with ME on one and XP Pro on the other. The problem is when using XP it seems to take a lot longer than ME when I open something up like OE or IE, which seems strange cos' I thought XP was alot better than ME.

The spec of my computer is as follows in case it helps:-

Athlon XP 2000+
120 GB (split 50/50)
512 DDR

gold 47 21:56 07 Dec 03

Have you used scandisk on XP? that will show if you require to defrag also have you checked the event log for errors not much help but i had the same problem with XP Home in my case it was a driver problem.Are you running Fat32 for XP Pro?

Dazwm 18:01 08 Dec 03

I have used scandisk and defragged recently but it is still slow. I am running XP Pro on NTFS. I also have minimal things working in the background, by doing msconfig and selective startup.

Dazwm 18:40 08 Dec 03

Will it work quicker if I change it to FAT32 like the 'C' drive?

Dazwm 18:00 09 Dec 03

refresh

Gaz 25 18:07 09 Dec 03

XP is more resourceful than Windows ME but it should still be ok on that spec.

Have you run a virus scan? click here

Run a Spyware scan? click here

Updated drivers? click here

Run a clean out of the registry using a program such as Regscrub XP which is free? click here

Have you run a health check to ensure all your hardware is in shape? Check the manufacturers site.

Have you ensured your settings are set for optimum performace?

Have you installed anything new that seems to have made it slower?

Is safe mode quicker?

Gaz 25 18:13 09 Dec 03

"Will it work quicker if I change it to FAT32 like the 'C' drive?"

There are no known problems with using NTFS, if not faster.

gold 47 20:15 10 Dec 03

I would think it is better to keep FAT32 on a dual
boot drive as WME can't see WXP because your running NTFS.You didn't say if any errors were showing in the event log!.I have found in the past
that a dual boot system looks ok when installed it may work for a time then you start getting
problems which then develop over time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…