Very Slow Start Up

dp600 07:27 14 Feb 09

I have winXP and when i switch on my computer i get all the white writing ,then screen goes black for abt 5 min,then i get the log in button.Any Ideas what is wrong please.
Thank You.

KremmenUK 07:31 14 Feb 09

That could be almost anything.

One way to help diagnose this is to use msconfig (from the Start > Run) and remove everything from your startup list.

Then put them back one at a time until it starts again.

If with everything removed it still does it try safe mode as a comparison.

dp600 07:36 14 Feb 09

Thanks will try that.

birdface 09:56 14 Feb 09

If using msconfig it may be advisable to leave your security programs ticked.
Maybe have a look here to see if this might help.But it does away with the sign in.So if you need that just ignore the post. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:54 14 Feb 09

check your drivers

try uninstalling reinstalling device drivers

dp600 07:48 15 Feb 09

Thank you all.I have disabled all in start from msconfig and is still the same.a program called nvcpl162 refuses not to start up i believe it ian nvida programe.i also try disabling the welcome window but no change.

birdface 09:02 15 Feb 09

Maybe check that you have it set to DMA and not PIO.
How to check.click here

birdface 09:04 15 Feb 09

While in Device Manager make sure there is no yellow exclamation marks on any of you devices.

dp600 09:14 15 Feb 09

thanks i looked at the dma and all was ok and no yellow signs in Device manager.

birdface 09:46 15 Feb 09

Maybe your Anti-virus running a scan at start up.Maybe set it to run at a different time.
Maybe try this Winaso Optimizer [free]
click here
Now this will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you want.
it also does an automatic back up and has a regisry defrag on it if you want to use that as well.
Other things to try is a defrag.Chkdsk.Run all of your security programs.No doubt you have probably tried all of those.

dp600 09:49 15 Feb 09

thanks will try all of that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…