Very slow running PC

fredhaggis 20:17 12 Apr 08

I have a PC problem that may be associated with Zone Alarm Anti Virus and Firewall (paid for version 7.0), specifically that on occasions my computer runs very, very slowly (takes 10-30 seconds, sometimes longer, to complete a simple task like opening or closing a window or a folder/document) This has happened very suddenly and not over a period of time. If I display Task Manager during a “slow” period it usually displays “Zone Alarm Not Responding”. One other thing I should mention in case it has any bearing on the problem is that at the time it went pear shaped a window came up stating that there had been an internal server error and to consult the server log. I have no idea what this means or where to locate the log to see if this is contributing to or causing the problem.

With Zone Alarm enabled the problem comes and goes but invariably my PC operates at normal speed when I shut down Zone Alarm so is Zone Alarm causing some sort of conflict? The problem first manifested itself on Wednesday 9th April shortly after downloading an update from the Zone Alarm site immediately after receiving the latest Windows Updates (Hotfix for Windows Internet Explorer 7(KB947864) and Windows XP Software Security Updates(KB941693-KB948590-KB948881-KB945553)

Can anyone offer some guidance as to what the problem might be. I have been using Zone Alarm for 3-4 years and have so far been very pleased with it. My Windows operating system is XP Pro.

Gongoozler 20:24 12 Apr 08

Do you have another antivirus installed - whether active or not?

birdface 20:29 12 Apr 08

If it runs Ok with Zone alarm switched off.I would remove Zone Alarm.Run C Cleaner then reinstall zone alarm see if that fixes it.

birdface 20:30 12 Apr 08

Or maybe a system restore to a time before you had the problems.

fredhaggis 17:12 13 Apr 08

Gongoozler.
No other antivirus installed as I know this can cause conflict.

Buteman
Not particularly keen to remove Zone Alarm as I would then have to go to their site and redownload which would leave me vulnerable for a while. Tried eight different dates to do a system restore but every one comes back "unable to create restore point". The problem is intermittent. NOt having at this particular point in time. Frustrating.

birdface 17:18 13 Apr 08

You could try right clicking local area connection on your quick start.And press repair.See if it comes up with a DNS problem.

howard64 18:04 13 Apr 08

you could go to the zone alarm site and download za and save it rather than install it. You can then disconnect from the net and delete everything about za. Then when ready to install again start it running and connect to the net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…