very slow pc

lesleypoo 22:24 23 Jan 07

I had to format and re partition my pc, then after reinstalling win98 from msdos i think, my pc is so slow, when i type the msconfig in the run command box i have nothing in my config.sys or in the autoexec.bat.. is this the reason? or have i just done it all wrong? I have copied and pasted this info from the system information if it helps anyone see my problem? thanks

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Upgrade using Full OEM CD /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IQ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:01:31:39
Normal mode
On "DADS" as "dads"

GenuineIntel Pentium(r) Processor
64MB RAM
78% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (977MB free)
Available space on drive C: 977MB of 2008MB (FAT32)

Totally-braindead 22:37 23 Jan 07

You formatted and reinstalled windows. Did you then install the motherboard drivers?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:42 23 Jan 07

64MB RAM??

Totally-braindead 22:45 23 Jan 07

It is Windows 98 Fruit Bat /\0/\ it should run ok on 64mb.

lesleypoo 23:04 23 Jan 07

64 mb ram yes, 32bit file system and 32 bit virtual memory,
pc cards 32 bit

Totally-braindead 23:06 23 Jan 07

Did you install the motherboard drivers?

Do you know what I mean? If not I will explain it may be the reason your PC is so slow.

lesleypoo 23:14 23 Jan 07

i dont know what you mean, sorry but thanks for helping me!

Totally-braindead 23:22 23 Jan 07

Right you should have a CD with the drivers for the motherboard on it. If they aren't installed the PC may well run but it will be using its own drivers not the proper ones.
Have a look through your disks and see if you have it. Mines an ASUS motherboard so its an ASUS disk I have, yours may well be different. See if you can find it.

If you can't don't panic you can identify the motherboard and go to the manufacturers website, download them from there and install them.

Download this SIW click here and run it. It well tell you the make and model of your board then we can see about the drivers. It will be something like Gigabyte GA7VAXP or ASUS P5SL or whatever. That is the manufacturer and model number and that is what we need.

lesleypoo 23:27 23 Jan 07

thanks i will click on that link i havent got any cd's i know for a fact..... your a big help
lesley

Totally-braindead 23:34 23 Jan 07

Just checked my emails and got the 2 from you. Now you know how to post just continue to post here, don't email people as others can't see whats going on.

lesleypoo 00:22 24 Jan 07

absolutely, i just couldnt at the time.... anyway am downloading that now thanks
lesley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…