very slow p.c.

Kingfisher 18:02 08 Sep 04

A friend of mine has a Dell p.c with 2.5ghz processor 256k ram 40 gig hard disk and windows xp home with sp1.
recently the p.c. has become painfully slow opening any application and even slower acessing and using the internet. I have run chkdsk defrag, spyboot search and destroy, Also have deleted temp files and cookies.
They have avg free virus software which did not show any viruses.They have very few programs on the p.c.
They have not installed any security pathes from windows update at all, I have tried looking in Device manager but cannot see any faults.
Could it be a faulty ram module,only the tower runs in a very warm environment i.e. in a cupboard under the desk, can anyone help please
sorry it is a bit long winded

winstonwolf 18:32 08 Sep 04

while you are waiting for a more technical response you could try , ctrl alt + delete to open the task manager , click the processes tab and the perfomance tab and see if anything is using all your resources.

Grouse ® 18:44 08 Sep 04

it could be that the heat is affecting the PC, causing the CPU to throttle speed!

If you can take off the side panel and check the cpu fan is operating correctly and let the PC run with the panel OFF to see if there is any improvement, or if you can go into BIOS on start up to see what the temperature is reported. < F2 or Delete key > and come back with results.........

Eamonncw 22:25 08 Sep 04

Since the take off of Broadband I`ve noticed a marked slowdown of Internet access. Maybe I`m being paranoid. Sorry my access to Internet is steam driven

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…