Very slow logging off XP

zanwalk 20:01 14 Feb 03

I have a problem when logging off XP for the first time after the PC has been booted, it takes around ten minutes before it finally logs off. Afterwards, it is fine and I can log on and off normally until the next time the PC is rebooted. Has anyone any clue as to why this is?

I have tried System Restore to no avail.

AndySD 20:07 14 Feb 03

Do you have the xp cd or a restore disk?

AL D. 20:10 14 Feb 03

Have you installed boot vis
click here

zanwalk 20:18 14 Feb 03

I have the XP cd. And the problem has only arisen in the past week, before that it was perfectly OK.

AndySD 21:02 14 Feb 03

Try th System file checker

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

zanwalk 21:54 14 Feb 03

Thanks for that. However, I am curious as to why the problem is only present the first time of logging off and not there subsequently, if it was a damaged file I would have thought it would affect it continuously?

AndySD 22:57 14 Feb 03

I will admit I am not sure but sfc has fixed it for me I believe either a driver or process loading either incorrectly. But I am open to be corrected on this.

crocodile36 23:12 14 Feb 03

I also have the same problem, but my XP disk is a Recovery Disk. Would your recommended repair method work with this?

AndySD 23:48 14 Feb 03

Unfortunatly not but dont loose hope click here and have alook ... if there is sometings you dont understand just ask us.

crocodile36 08:09 15 Feb 03

Many thanks. There's a lot on the site to think about. I'll give one or two things a go.

zanwalk 11:46 15 Feb 03

Thanks, the link above you gave to crocodile36 looks useful too, I will try one or two things out and let you know. It will probably be next week before I get a chance to do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant