very slow internet & constantly whirring tower!

Jule 15:20 17 Jun 06

My mesh pc is about 4 years old and is suddenly very slow to load some web pages, particularly if i've been online for a while. The tower is whirring constantly as if a program is loading but control/alt/delete only shows AOL. Is this likely to be, a memory problem (my son has a lot of music stored), a programme that is running that uses a lot of memory? Is it a hardware thing such as a fan, or could it be a virus? I have Aol with McAfee & AVG. Simple answers only please!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:35 17 Jun 06

McAfee & AVG.

You should only run one Antivirus program at a time.

Constant whirring could be fans on full in ths hor weather. However its more like spyware that will cause internet slow downs.

Clean hard drives temparory files with Crap Cleaner click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
Spycatcher express click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here
Ewido click here
Superantispyware click here
Hitman pro click here

Jule 15:42 17 Jun 06

thanks Fruit Bat, Mcafee is a firewall & AVG is an anti virus, i thought these were two different things and i need both?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 17 Jun 06

Mcafee also do antivirus thats why I was asking.

Yes you do need both.

1. firewall
1. Antivirus
and as much antispyware as you like.

blaster as a blocker
defender as a realtime scanner
adaware or spybot as backup scanner and
ewido as an excellant trojan finder all work well together.

Scan for spyware clear tempory folders and see if your machine improves.

Jule 16:54 17 Jun 06

I have installed CCleaner & Spyware blaster. I already have AOL Spyware so think I'm covered. CCleaner deleted a load of stuff, so I'll see if things improve. The tower is still whirring though. Could you advise me how to find out which programmes load automatically when Windows XP starts, and how to stop the one's I don't need? many thanks

Jackcoms 16:57 17 Jun 06

You may also want to defrag the PC.

"how to find out which programmes load automatically when Windows XP starts, and how to stop the one's I don't need?"

Start; Run and type msconfig

Look under the startup tab.

Jule 17:06 17 Jun 06

hi am i right in thinking that if i disable some programmes in this way, they won't be deleted but just won't start until i start them myself? I don't want to delete something vital!

VoG II 17:07 17 Jun 06

Yes you're right.

click here

Jackcoms 17:09 17 Jun 06

This will help. Very comprehensive click here

Jule 17:25 17 Jun 06

yes i can see it's very comprehensive, but i'm afraid i haven't a clue what to do with it! help

Jackcoms 17:35 17 Jun 06

Using msconfig/Startup tab you will see a list of processes/programs under 'Startup Items'.

Using the website I gave you, work through that list and type each of them into the site's Search box.

The results will tell you whether each program should be allowed to run, whether it's unnecessary or whether the choice is yours.

It can be a long, laborious process - but worth it in the end if you want to improve your start up times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac