Very slow, and I mean slow, computer, some advice?

Kitz E Kat 22:26 05 Jun 03

Hi , i just nipped around to have a quick look at my friends computer, its a Compaq 1.7 gig, 128 RAM , 20 GIG HD, with XP home, and its slow, can take up to 8 Min's to boot up and load Word,MAD!! I defraged the drive, ran chkdisk,and did a virus scan, with Norton. Still the same, slowwwwclick here ideas as to what i can do next?
Thanks
Kitz E Kat

VoG™ 22:32 05 Jun 03

Try BootVis to improve boot time click here

Otherwise, 128MB RAM is just about the minimum that XP will run on - add more RAM.

howard60 22:34 05 Jun 03

several hundred will slow it to a crawl

AndySD 22:36 05 Jun 03

Go Start then Run type in

msconfig

and hit OK. in the Startup tab untick anything neo required click here also click here

powerless 22:37 05 Jun 03

Upgrade that RAM to 256MB+.

You know XP will love you if you have 512MB (check it can be upgraded click here )

STOP the startup items.

Start > Run > Type: MSCONFIG

Click ok and click on STARTUP (at top) remove the ticks and you should boot faster. Removing the ticks will stop programs from starting when windows loads. To see what programs you will be stopping from starting click here

Also Uninstall any unnecessary programs from add/remove in the control panel.

You could also disable some of XP's display features (although the display will not look as nice ) Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > setings (the first one)

Also try disabling non neeed services click here

Also take alook at this - improves those boot times click here

Kitz E Kat 22:45 05 Jun 03

As is usual you have given me plenty to go at, thanks, will try out your ideas am sure it will speed it up. How did that link get there in my post?? I did not put one there, as a matter of fact i dont know how to do that, in fact how do you do that??
Cheers thanks for you time
Happy Kitty

AndySD 22:54 05 Jun 03

you put www(full stop)Any the site took it as a wed link (URL) and made it into click here

mammak 23:09 05 Jun 03

Is oor wee Powerless jist noo the man ooh the match every time i come up on this forum this man solve,s it for me,go wie oor Powerless, kitz e kat youll no gan rang (you wont go wrong lol)

Kitz E Kat 23:15 05 Jun 03

Ehhh.... got some of that... i think??

professor 23:22 05 Jun 03

find 2 apps called system mechanic and regcleaner -you can download them. run them both as by the end of it they would of found and deleted an incredible amount of crap that would of gathered on your mates pc and when they are done pc speed would be running at say about 30secs to boot.

prof

Pumas 23:23 05 Jun 03

Although I can understand you I suspect that a lot here won't be able to

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…