Very slow file extraction

conburt 15:23 03 May 06

My file extraction wizard seems to be extremely slow. It is taking about half an hour to extract files from a 55MB zip folder.
Everything else appears fine.

Diemmess 17:06 03 May 06

Zip as in Winzip?
55Mb in 30 minutes is so long there has to be a fault somewhere. 30 seconds ought to be enough.

Have you tackled folders of that size before?
Or are you running something else in the background now?

I'm only guessing, but you might be a little short on RAM. Perhaps low on free space on the HD?

When you post back, say what O. system you use and how much RAM you have. Also do say if you have added any program or changed some hardware recently.

conburt 17:48 03 May 06

Thanks Diemmess. Yes as in Winzip. I have unzipped folders of that size before without too much trouble. I've even downloaded a zip programme from the internet and tried that. It works perfectly. I have 1GB RAM and 230GB of free disk space on my HD and operating Windows XP home (SP2). I have tried Microsoft's web site for any clues but have come unstuck.

Diemmess 07:27 04 May 06

I posted, offered the obvious and hoped others would take this up.

You have ample space, and no previous problems. So unless every zip folder is being slow... by elimination it must be something in the structure of this troublesome one.
Is it possible to obtain a new copy?

In the background you are sure ther's no malware lurking?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…