Very Slow Computer

Dreamer1 12:37 17 Oct 09

I have a 3 year old pc running xp and over the past couple of months i have noticed that it seems to take a rather a long time to load programs.Can any Forum member recommend a free program that i can use to clean up old files ect. Many Thanks
Stan

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:10 17 Oct 09

click here and run it but before running click on 'advanced' under the windows tab on the left, and tick all apart from the last 2 (custom files and wipe free). You should also go to options-advanced and untick the first box. You should also download Malawarebytes (free version). Set it up, update it and run on deep scan (will take an hour). Delete all it finds. click here
Personally I would do a factory reinstall and the computer will run like new.

G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 17 Oct 09

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Superantispyware click here
Malware removal tool click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubVistaXp click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )
Although the registry tool in CCleaner is very good the above are alternatives.

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:39 17 Oct 09

2. Hardware

a) Hard drives / IDE Channels:

i) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP or Vista, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

b) Drivers
Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) Memory
Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com click here will guide you through the process of slecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

birdface 17:31 17 Oct 09

not with Virginmedia are you.I find them to be a bit slow in the last month since they had problems with the e-mails.

You could try running this program it might speed things up a bit.

click here

Make sure Ad-Blocker is ticked and Mini Download manager is unticked.
Any changes you make you have to turn I/explorer off then on again for the changes to take place.
That should make your browsing a bit quicker.

Input Overload 21:17 17 Oct 09

I think Reg Seeker is a quick way to have a none booting PC. It's the most aggressive cleaner out there and should only be used if you go over every problem it flags.

Kevscar1 13:11 18 Oct 09

Be very careful about changing services using this link e in Fruit Bat /\0/,s post \click here

I followed his instructions exactly but didn't disable all the things he said and now i'm totally screwed.

Tried to change some things this morning and nothing works.
Computer properties none of the four options work
All say disabled or no program associated.
Put services.msc or msconfig in the run box and it says service cannot be started because it is disabled or has no enabled devices assocaited with it.
System restore has disappeared
Put Vista into drive and get the same message
I have no idea what to do now. Any help appreiated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:41 18 Oct 09

Start your own thread do not hijack someone else's thread as you will not receive notice of replies made to your problem.

"I followed his instructions exactly but didn't disable all the things he said and now i'm totally screwed."

You need to log in as Administrator to reset the services.

Kevscar1 15:33 18 Oct 09

sorry as it was from this thread I thought it best to continue in it.

Dreamer1 23:06 21 Oct 09

Thanks to all for advice,seems to have made a difference.Stan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…