very slow audio and graphics

pavel113 19:12 05 Apr 09

Hi there
My system is a Dell Inspiron 531 with an AMD Athlon (TM) 64+2 dual core processor 4400+ 2.31 GHz with 2.00 GB RAM. and 32 bit os. It is coming up to 2 years old.
My problem is that I have just bought two PC games, "Race Driver Grid" by codemaster, and star trek legacy by UBI Soft.
I have downloaded them and when I try to play them, the audio is very jerky and the graphics are basically in jerky slow motion. Have freed up memory and done a defrag, but with still know joy.
Incidentily, I can run Microsoft WW11 aircraft sim with no probs.
I also use "Second Life" which runs as slow as the above games.
Help please

mrwoowoo 20:08 05 Apr 09

It would help if we knew which graphics card you have.
It does sound as if your GPU is not up to the required system requirements.

Terry Brown 20:56 05 Apr 09

have you updated your motherboard drivers
click here as this could be the cause, you could alse try updating your graphic drivers.

Do you have other programs running in the background, virus checkers, office, P2P software etc as this can all affect perormance.
Terry

MAT ALAN 21:10 05 Apr 09

The Dell Inspiron 531 i believe comes with an ONBOARD VGA chip and a low rated PSU 300W or less

click here

the prog in the link will help you dicsover exactly what these components are and what they are reated at,BUT and after reading reviews on other sites about this PC, for gaming it is a DONKEY...

pavel113 21:10 07 Apr 09

Hi there
sorry for the delay mrwoowoo
The Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE.
Have just updated NVIDIA drivers, will check them out Terry, No other programs running in background.
MAT ALAN
Am checking that one out.
Thanks for all your help, will let you know if resolved

MAT ALAN 21:25 07 Apr 09

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE. no need to go any further than that, in simple terms ya VGA chip is indeed a donkey among the gaming world and for playing any sort of semi-demanding game is as much use as a chocolate teapot...

you will have to decide if you want to upgrade which will have to include your PSU as well...

pavel113 22:13 07 Apr 09

many thanks MAT ALAN for your info. Am going to uprade my Graphics card significantly and have a look at my PSU as it appears to be borderline.
Thanks all for your input.

woodchip 22:16 07 Apr 09

Yep thats your problem, you need a good Graphics card and a PSU to run it

MAT ALAN 22:19 07 Apr 09

regarding VGA card you do not have to go mad it will much depend on what sort of games you want to play.
its getting the balence right between your VGA card PSU and memory and of course how you play them.
I normally turn off all essential services screen savers auto updates and the like it gives your games a better chance of performing well...

pavel113 10:47 08 Apr 09

I have looked at VGA's and they range from about £30-£200-£300.
I am not an avid or serious gamer, just like to dabble in my favourite sport of motor racing, hence the recently bought "Grid Racer" by codemaster.
Do you think I could pick up a half decent VGA for about £100?
Thanks anyway all peops for your advice.

pavel113 19:22 21 Apr 09

Thanks all you guys with the advice.
Have now installed a NVIDIA GE FORCE 8400GS.
Working perfectly.
Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac